Solved

Netapp cifs backup & archive (one pass)

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

I want to backup and archive my netapp cifs shared. When I read through documentation online, there is NAS & ndmp backup.

I believe the best way is through ndmp backup using MA as ndmp remote server.

I just don’t get on the archive potion. The data access node and f-policy proxy can I use the same MA use for backup?

Will it be like one-pass, where I just run backup and then archive will be based on the rules set within the same backup process? Or different backup and archive set need to be created and run different job?

regards,

Fauzi

icon

Best answer by JimmyWilson 6 July 2022, 18:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fauzi SDS , have you checked the Expert doc on NetApp archiving?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/127243_archiving_files.html

This has more detail than the essential one.  You can use the OnePass function to make life easier.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Mike,

I have been looking into this https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/27123_netapp_archiving.html

When I setup the ndmp backup, it will only create ndmp backup set. NDMP backup set cannot do archive.

I need to set as network share to get the FileSystem backup set to create the archive set.

So it have 2 backup set which is NDMP and Archive set (through FileSystem backup set).

If I do archive from archive set, it will also backup the whole content, but only archive based on the rules set right? So I can just use archive set so that it will function as One pass, and no need to do backup using NDMP backup set?

regards,

Fauzi

Badge

Hello,

The recommended path forward for your structure and business needs would be to set up the following.

• Create a File System via the access node.
  • Create a normal defaultBackupSet with subclient(s) needed for your data protection.
  • Create an ArchiveSet with the subclient(s) needed for archival. 

The standard backupset will manage dataprotection for all the files required and added as content to your subclients.

The archive set will do exactly that, archive anything that qualifies based on your specification.

We don’t recommend a OnePass configuration with large CIFS shares as the stub data created remains in that index, and it creates unnecessary bloat in that index.

With the archive set, you have the retention set at Job Based, rather than the OnePass object based, and it simply functions better.

At this point NDMP would not be required, as you would be duplicating efforts.

Thanks,

Will (JimmyWilson) Gardner

Tier 2 Technical Support - Client Focus

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Will,

Thanks for the reply. I will stick to FileSystem rather than NDMP for the backup and archive, with separate backupset.

Regards,

Fauzi