Solved

Offline Backup with Commvault

• 24 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Which variant of an offline backup (cold backup) is preferred here in the community ? I have often heard that people like to use AWS for this.  On the other hand, Commvault also offers its own cloud storage with Metallic.
I don't think that a tape library is used much anymore.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 10 May 2023, 16:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@thomas.S I do not think there is a preferred cloud provider or solution in the community, because we all have different opinions, ideas and things to consider that we have to take into account. It most of the times depends on the requirements and the preference of the customer as well. One benefit from using Metallic Recovery Vault, or whatever it is called these days, is that it comes with predictable cost because it only counts for storage cost and not for traffic cost. It uses Azure Blob storage under the hood. In regards to the adoption of tape media. I think the use of tape media will grow in the near future as sustainability is getting more important and power cost have increased a lot!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

@Onno van den Berg The variant with the we will consider times. We are currently called to create a possibility that we store a backup at another location, which may not be changed after completion of the backup of Commvault. I don't think it is possible or practical to remove the library from the environment after the backup. Is there any way to prevent the data from being modified or deleted by attacks ? It is clear that you can not run a schedule that accesses the backup again at specified times.  Here WORM would come to our mind.  From my point of view this is the only variant we could use to backup the data besides the option to use a tape library.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@thomas.S if that is the requirement than I would consider to use the public cloud storage like Amazon S3 with S3-object lock or Microsoft Azure Storage. In case the use of public cloud is not possible I would recommend using some solution that offers immutability on-premises. Besides disk/flash based solution you could also look into Quantum tape libraries who offer protection on tape libraries see → https://www.storagereview.com/review/quantum-scalar-ransom-block-creates-physical-barrier-to-ransomware