Question

Old Tape library- how to remove

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I installed a new tape library, I should turn off the old tape library.

Is there a special procedure to remove it?

Thank you!

Best resgards,
Elizabeta

19 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

What is the highest retention in the CommCell? With a shorter retention it would be better to wait for retention expiry and then delete the library.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  Please review this documentation and let me know if this is helpful:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10202_deconfiguring_tape_library_01.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief the problem is backup DR (Disaster Recovery).

For some reason, the backup DR (Disaster Recovery) is placed both on the tape from the new Tape library and on the tape from the old Tape library. I do not know why. Last backup was 16.1.Retention is 30 days.

@Orazan thank you for the documentation.

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Just one question,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief  May I ignore the fact that retentions from the previously backup have not expired and deconfigure the library?

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

It is recommended the tapes moved and assigned to a working library for future restores. if the data can be ignored then it would be preferable to delete the jobs and run aging for manual cleanup. 

Ignoring retention would lead to issues in the future. 

DR backup jobs are WORM protected you may need to work with CV Support to delete these. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief 

There will be no need to Restore from the old tapes, I just want to completely remove the old tape library.

Can I just delete DR backup jobs that were performed on old tapes without the retention period having expired?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

DR backups cannot be deleted before retention expires. For deleting DR backup jobs before retention is met,  Unlock code is needed which will be shared by support once a case is opened requesting the same.

for other jobs can be deleted and tapes also can be deleted. 

i would recommend to delete the tapes and then delete /de-configure the tape library. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief You recommend erasing the tapes. Can I simply delete the tape where the DR backup was located? Which is the procedure?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

The retentions on the old tape on the old tape library have not yet been expired, basically the situation is that every Monday DR backup is placed there (due to the busyness of the drive from the schedule policy on the new Tape library).
Is there any way to declare that tape bad and delete it somehow?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

DR backup jobs make the storage device WORM (Write Once Read Many) until the retention is met. i.e. user cannot delete them as he deletes other client backup jobs. 

The library not being used can be mark for maintenance till the retention is met. Then the library can be deconfigured and deleted

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

As we don't need the old tapes from the old tape library at all, can they be removed from the tape library and then deconfigure this tape library normally?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief you said: The library not being used can be mark for maintenance till the retention is met. Then the library can be deconfigured and deleted ..

I go to Library Properties->Stratus->I have two options, then mark→ Enable library and mark ->Mark Library Offline for Maintenance

It will help to deconfigure the library even though the retentions are not expired?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

Please follow the below URL steps for deconfiguring the tape library

Deconfiguring Tape Storage (commvault.com)

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I deconfigured the old Tape library successfully, physically disconnected it... But now I have a problem... I have lost the content from the copied tapes (I did the copying via Auxilliary copy) on the tapes on the new Tape library?

Why is that so? Can I restore the contents of the copied tape somehow?

It is not clear to me how retention of the copied tape on the new Tape library can come out, if I have deconfigured the old tape library??Best regards,Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Another info: I have deleted Auxilliary copies which were used to copy tapes from the old tape library to the new tape library before I deconfigured the old tape library.

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

Auxcopy deletion would result in the data getting deleted too. Ideally the copy should be disabled and not deleted for data to be available. This is the reason you are not able to see the auxcopied data.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief thank you for explanation.

Is there in the documentation from commvault an explanation that when deconfiguring the old tape library, you should pay attention to the tapes that were copied via aux copy from the old tape library??

I have read in documentation that “ Before you deconfigure a library, verify and ensure that none of the Storage Policy Copy's default data path points to the library. “

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

The latest issue is relating to Aux Copy configuration and not tape library configuration.

There are few things which are to considered. 

1. Data once written to a Particular SP cannot be moved out of it - this comes down to how Commvault is designed/developed.
  2. Data can be moved from one copy to another within the SP. - used in library decommission scenarios. 
  3. Copy deletion would lead to data deletion - this relates to Job Management and how the Commvault keeps track of backup metadata.
  4.  SP / Copy name can be renamed as per requirement without having any effect on retention of data.
Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief  thanks for explaining….

Best regards,
Elizabeta