OneDrive files for users that left years ago still available for restore

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

My OneDrive backups are configured to use my Tier 3 Prod (“other” production) storage policy which has a 14 day retention for all backups and a 1 year retention for monthly backup.

Today I noticed that a coworker named Simon who moved on to greener pastures more than a year ago still appears in the list of clients when I do a Browse and Restore search on OneDrive users within the CommVault java GUI.  The Backup Time reported for Simon’s files falls within the weekly synthetic full backup that runs Saturday nights.

I thought there might have been a failure to clean up Azure but when I check admin.microsoft.com, Simon does not appear as an active, guest, or deleted user.  I checked with my O365 administrator and Simon’s files appear to have been properly deleted.

I don’t understand why his files are still appearing within the CommVault backups.  Shouldn’t his OneDrive files have expired by now?  

Ken

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I found this thread:

That talks about the retention of O365 email backups and mentions:

“… the ‘basic days’ & ‘basic cycles’ at the storage policy copy level do not apply to the mailbox agent, we will only look at the storage device (library) … “

Oddly, my none of my libraries have retention periods set so I don’t think this is the source of my issue.

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ken_H , following up on this thread.  Were you able to find a solution through the other thread (or your own investigations)?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Mike Struening,

No, I never did find an explanation for this behaviour.  The current documentation seems to assume that backups are administered through the Command Center browser interface but I’m a long time CommVault user who still relies on the Java console on my local desktop,  I guess it’s better to have too much in the backups than not enough.  This isn’t a big enough issue to open up a ticket for, especially as I’ve already got two long running tickets in progress.  I was just curious if anyone had an explanation.

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Understood, and thanks @Ken_H .  I’ll leave this open, so if anything comes up or you feel like reviving it, feel free!

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

FYI:  I’ve created ticket 221107-569 to get some help with this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate it!