Solved

OpenVMS backup locked fies

• 14 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello all,

is it possible to backup locked files in OpenVMS? Backup is running, but some files failed. I found an old manual:

You can instruct the backup procedure to save open files by using the /IGNORE=INTERLOCK qualifier on the BACKUP command. When you use the /IGNORE=INTERLOCK qualifier, the contents of the file at the moment of the backup are saved.

The /IGNORE=INTERLOCK qualifier is useful for files that are constantly open (and would therefore not otherwise be saved). However, you must recognize that you might be saving inconsistent data, depending on the applications that are writing to the open files (for example, open application transactions or file data cached in memory). Also, because of the way BACKUP scans directories, any activity in a directory (such as creating or deleting files) can cause files to be excluded from the backup. In general, it is best to back up your system when a minimum number of files are open.

Is there any additional setting to backup these files in Commvault? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Gowri Shankar 14 September 2022, 17:18

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ThomasG 

Please click on the link for documentation on “Configuring Backups for Locked Files and Disaster Recovery Operations”

Let us know in case of any other questions.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Gowri,

Thank you, I didn’t find this in documentation … my fault.

Regards,

Thomas

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello,

backup is running now. One additional question:

What does the option “defaultToBlockIO=1” do? Are there any known problems in OpenVMS using this option?

Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello,

Backup is running now and all files are backuped.

One other question: Are there any known problems in OpenVMS using the option “defaultToBlockIO=1” ? Thank you

Regards, Thomas