Solved

Option "Retain Until" can delete job

• 18 May 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello Guys, 

I need space in my Commvault environment, so can i remove job that expired(Retain Unitl) ?

I thing this job was supposed to have  been removed and i can reclaim space.

Another thing:

There are backup jobs in a Three different locals, 2 in File library and one in tape library.

Another question: Can i remove the backup job to the Files libraries?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 20 May 2022, 17:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Fernando Souza !  hope all is well!!

It looks like the job is on 3 copies.  The question here is “which copy is the first screenshot referring to?”

Can you run a Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report against the copy/library in question and see what it shows for that specific job?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@Fernando Souza,

First thing you want to look into is the reason why these jobs have not aged. You can run the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance” report against the storage policy copy in question. For example. in this case you would run it against the Primary copy under SP_FILESERVER_EXCHANGE”. 

This report will tell you a reason why this job has not aged. You can look at the reason for the job not aging and then understand the reason behind it in the following doc:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11966_data_aging_troubleshooting.html#data-retention-forecast-and-compliance-report-error-codes

The reason why this is important is because if its a systemic problem you may want to fix it so you dont have to manually delete jobs every time. 

For the time being, to answer your question, you can certainly delete the job from the primary copy while still keeping it in tact on the tape copies. You can do so by viewing the jobs at the copy level:

1. Under policies > Storage policies > SP_FILESERVER_EXCHANGE > Primary.
  2. Right click primary > view > jobs > uncheck the time range box to see all the jobs.
  3. Select the job you want to delete > right click > delete job.
  4. Right click the commserve > all tasks > data aging.

Hope this helps.
Regards

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening ,

The first screen is the backup expired, is it correct? and can i removed?
I will run the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report, to view

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello @Mike Struening ,

The first screen is the backup expired, is it correct? and can i removed?
I will run the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report, to view

Fernando,

The first screenshot is saying he backup should have aged out on 2nd Jan or Feb 1st depending on the format of the dates you use however it did not and the reason it did not, you will find in the forecast report. You should not need to manually delete jobs once they meet their retention so I would recommend checking out the forecast report to understand why the job didn’t age when it should have. ​​

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Harsh Desai 

I understand that it had to expired and not expired, but why it didn´t expire?

One example:
JOB ID 115206 Retention is one year:

This job will expire on 25/05/2022(1 year after), but the status in the Forecast Report is as “green” and PRUNABLE, can i explain to me, please?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , question on the top job list….where are you viewing thos ejobs?  On the client or on a copy?

Assuming you didn’t change the date on the report configuration, it is showing that the jobs on that library should prune now, but if you are seeing them with a longer retain until date, they could be in another copy.

for background, that retain until column is only showing the BASIC DAYS effect, not the cycles or anything else.

If you run Data Aging now, do they go away?

Badge

I deleted some stale jobs manually, will this be deleted automatically from the library or I have to afterwards prune the data from the storage policy?