Solved

Oracle Duplicate from tape fails with error while restoring backup piece

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi

I’ve been trying to run Duplicate Oracle database using Tape Storage Policy Copy but it fails during Archivelog restore with “Error while restoring backup piece”.

Since this is a Selective Copy there are only Weekly Selective Fulls present on media. I’ve been looking for some answers in RMAN log, but what I see here doesn’t make sense.

First of all the last SOF (selective online full) backup present on tape copy is job 47104. Looking at RMAN run block I can see SET UNTIL clause is set to correct time which is a couple of minutes before job 47104 ended. It does restore all required datafiles, but during archivelog restore it tries to restore from backup pieces from newer jobs which, since this is a Selective Copy, are not present on the media. Then it fails over to previous job until it tries to restore from the job that is actually on the media (47104) but it still fails permanently this time. The SCN on which restore fails is lower then the Next SCN number in the job properties so it should be present on the media.

Job 47104 have status Available on Tape SPC, I’ve used getbackuplist qcommand to verify that backup piece on which the restore fails is present in the backup job mentioned

Can you advice on why it fails or how to do this successfully?

Below are some additional screenshots from duplicate options:

Essential RMAN log fragment is attached.

icon

Best answer by Robert Horowski 2 June 2022, 10:29

View original

5 replies

Badge +3

Hi

I’ve been trying to run Duplicate Oracle database using Tape Storage Policy Copy but it fails during Archivelog restore with “Error while restoring backup piece”.

…..

Have you opened an support incident? If not, could you please do so as this requires a detailed review/investigation. I wouldn’t be comfortable drawing conclusions with the subset of what has been provided.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Yes, I did open the case.

Forgive me asking, but are you a bot @mfox ?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, I did open the case.

Forgive me asking, but are you a bot @mfox ?  

He’s real 😁  One of our top Oracle guys in support.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi, 

@Mike Struening I don’t know, I want to believe you but when some account looks like a bot and acts like a bot... Like I said, I don’t know 😅

Now to the point.

Since I don’t like questions without answers myself I would like to share the resolution for the benefit of the community.

Introduction

First of all I wanted to thank @James Hilton from support, who was extremely helpful in that incident and was able to provide a very quick resolution and analysis of the incident.

Description

Now as I described the situation was that restore from tape has failed looking for archivelog backup piece in different jobs, that is because RMAN is trying to look for the archivelog in the newest job which is not available on tape, it then fails to find that job on media and tries second newest job which is also not present on the media. Let’s remember this is a restore/duplicate from Selective Copy. Finally it tries to find the job that actually is present on the media, but since “Disable Oracle Channel Restore Failover” option is selected (default), Commvault fails the job.

Solution

So the solution was to simply uncheck “Disable Oracle Channel Restore Failover” option and the restore/duplicate went fine.

I didn’t get that from documentation

Disable Oracle Channel Restore Failover

When you select this check box, the Commvault software does not restore from a failover backup piece. The Oracle behavior remains the same, that is it fails over to another backup piece name.

The Commvault software enables this option by default because it might print restore database corruptions.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/20709_advanced_restore_options.html

and it makes sense only after James actually kindly explained that to me.

Like in one of my favorite TV series “All the Pieces Matter” except we are talking backup pieces 😁

Hope somebody will find it useful.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @Robert Horowski , and no problem on the assumption.  These days, you never know!