Solved

Oracle RMAN backup switches

• 23 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

When CommVault creates an RMAN backup script it includes a SEND statement with several switches.  I assume it’s sending these switches for CommVault settings.

Example:

send "BACKUP -jm 32813 -a 2:8033 -cl 4762 -ins 1521 -at 22 -j 28884797 -jt 28884797:4:2:0:54493 -bal 0 -t 1 -ms 4 -data";

I have been searching the documentation high and low and I cannot find a definition for what these switches do.  Does any know or have a link to a doc that tells what all these switches do?

icon

Best answer by Gowri Shankar 23 June 2022, 19:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@MSUJEFF , they aren’t documented, though they are generated by the code for the code….meaning they wouldn’t be of use anyway.

As an example, I believe cl is the client ID, but that’s only useful if you know the client ID, not the name.

Badge +1

@Gowri Shankar I do understand that those switches are generated dynamically.  What I’m wanting to know, is what they mean.  Are they documented anywhere?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Good day @MSUJEFF

Those switches are dynamically created for the backups initiated / scheduled from commvault level.

In case if you are looking for SBT parameters to initiate oracle backups via rman interface then check the following link → https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/20672_oracle_agent_sbt_parameters.html

Let us know in case of any other questions.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar