Solved

Pre/Post Command options for backup jobs

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Have a requirement to stop a specific service prior to backup running so created a simple bat file with 

“net stop servicename

and configured the bat file in the pre backup command for the subclient. 

However backup job in pending state and I am getting an error along the lines of “User selection still set to none.”

Is there more to the configuration of the bat than just stopping the required service?

icon

Best answer by Tom Evans 1 April 2021, 23:05

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Tom Evans , generally the issue with pre/post process files is either the script itself, or the user running the script (within the job).

Can you log onto the client itself (as the user you have configured to run that script within the subclient properties) and run the script manually and see if it works?

You can also edit the pre-scan command like this:
prescript.bat 1>> C:\std.out 2>> C:\stderr.out
(where 'prescript' is the entire path of the script that is already there)
This will create 2 files that you can review which will show us the problem. 

You can edit the actual line in the subclient properties to have this extra parameter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Tom,

I suspect that you may need to set the user account to run the batch script, At the bottom of the Pre/Post window:

The startPrePostCmd.log file may contain some information on running the script.

As Mike mentions above, Output the script to a File so that you can check in a log to see what happened at that level also.

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @MichaelCapon,

That window is all greyed out when i look in the advanced properties of the subclient?

@Mike Struening - the above makes it impossible to add the parameters to create the log output?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Tom Evans can you send a screenshot?  Is this client part of a subclient policy?

What agent is this a subclient of?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Mike Struening 

In Subclient Policy I see “<None>”

Its File System agent. 

Thanks
Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Tom Evans , what’s the OS?  I see you have Pre-Snap has an option to Browse, but everything else is grayed out.  If this is a Snap based backup, there might not be any reason to have a scan or backup script.

Here’s a list of supported Agents:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/12784_pre_processes_and_post_processes_support.html

Also of note, I don’t see your script listed at all (the one you started the thread for :grin: ) so want to be sure we are looking at the right client.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Mike Struening OS is Windows Server 2012 R2.

I removed the script using the Command Center to see if it lit up the options in the Java console which is why there is not anything showing.

As far as I am aware this isn't a Snap based backup? I remotely installed the File System agent from the Command Center and used the default subclient by applying a plan to it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Tom Evans , let me ask around.  I looked into the issue and the above suggestions were what I found.

I’ll be in touch!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Tom Evans , quick question….can you edit ANYTHING in that subclient properties?

A colleague said it might be permissions related (and to see what you can edit if anything).

Editing in another colleague asking, does this client have the full iDA installed, or perhaps just the Core install (which only supports basic options)?  Right-click the client and view installed software.

Other than that, it might be best to open a case with support (and reply back with the solution).

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Mike Struening 

checked installed software and it has File System Core and File System.

also logged in as the default admin account that was created during install and all options still show as greyed out so don’t think it’s a permissions thing.

Will get a support ticket raised for investigation.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am extremely curious!  Keep me posted. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Mike Struening - For whatever reason when on remote session with support re-selecting the scripts in the command center under the client allowed the backup to run successfully with the pre/post scripts running as expected.

As for the properties being greyed out in the Comcell. Console I think it was suggested that the Server Plan was restricting the modification of properties. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Makes sense; definitely not something I would have instantly thought of :sunglasses:

I’ll go ahead and mark this as answered, though if it happens again, let us know.

thanks, @Tom Evans !!