Solved

Pre/Post Process parameter

• 24 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Is there a way to receive, in a Commvault post process command, the name of the database being backed up?

Additionally, if you have any links to any more documentation about Pre/Post Processes I would be very grateful.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 27 June 2022, 15:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@swharrell , can you clarify on the first item?  you want to have an output to a file with the database list?

You’re probably better off using Workflows, so I’ll post the docs for both:

Pre/Post Process:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/12761_pre_processes_and_post_processes_advanced.html

Workflows:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/49513_workflow_overview.html

Workflows allow you to do pretty much anything, though are therefore a lot more complex than adding a post script.

Badge +1

@Mike Struening, Thank you for the response. I/we are new to Commvault so I was not aware of Workflows. I will look at that as it may be what I am needing to accomplish the task.

I am working with Commvault for SQL Server backups. With our past processes, we would receive notification of a database backup failure, to include the name of the database the backup failed on. In the 1 day orientation I received, the Commvault rep didn’t know of a way for this to be accomplished and suggested using Pre/Post Process cmds.

I have previously read the documentation for Pre/Post Processes in the link you provided and, it doesn’t provide much help outside of the setup process.

I currently have success/failure emails being sent through this process but, I haven’t found a way to include the database name for them.

Again, thank you for your response, and I will look at Workflows.

Badge

Hi 

You can create a report with ComCell Console to includie the subclient content

Regards

Nicola

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Take a look and let me know if you have questions, though @Nicola Bonugli has a valid idea as well!

Badge +1

@Nicola Bonugli, @Mike Struening 

Thank you both for your input. Nicola, I will look into your suggestion as well.