Solved

put media agent in maintenance mode behavior (gridstor)

• 30 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hello team,

I have 4 media agents on AWS that are used to backup sap databases. The schedule is done through third part application.

I need to update the Commserve and the 4 media Agent installed as gridstor

I remember the last time I put in maintenance mode one by one each media agent but I have the impression that the jobs fell in error instead of terminating gracefully.

any advice lease ?

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 31 January 2023, 05:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I would recommend pausing all backup activity, placing all of the Media Agents that you wish to update into Maintenance Mode and then running your updates.  Once done, you can remove the MediaAgents from Maintenance Mode and then resume backup activity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Maintenance mode should mean that existing backups on that Media Agent are moved to another. However as some backups are non-restartable I would not consider this a graceful operation.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/93958_putting_mediaagent_into_maintenance_mode.html

You can put a MediaAgent into maintenance mode so that it does not run backup, restore, or auxiliary copy operations.

When you put a MediaAgent into maintenance mode, if a job is running on the MediaAgent, the job goes into a waiting state until another MediaAgent runs it.

Even in maintenance mode, MediaAgents can perform administrative tasks, such as drive cleaning, on attached devices.