Solved

Query on Microsoft Teams compliance Capabilities

Badge +3

Hi All ,

One of my customer has requirement , wherein they want “individual Teams Chat messages”  for all the users , not be retained more than 60 days.
Going through commvault documentation my understanding is user's Microsoft Teams Chat messages are stored to a hidden/not exposed folder to a user's mailbox and is backed up as per exchange archiving policies .
My Exchange Archiving policy is configured to retain data for infinity.

Queries :
Does OneDrive backup stores personal team chat as well or it is only used to store documents shared in Teams chat ?
If yes , where on OneDrive teams personal chats are stored ? 

Is there a way we can create separate retentions for “individual Teams Chat messages” within same archiving policy ?

icon

Best answer by Pratyush 6 September 2022, 19:16

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Personal messages are stored in the users mailboxes while files shared in chats are stored in OneDrive.  There are no personal chats stored in OneDrive.

Badge +3

@Orazan  Thank you for the reply . Any idea on second part of query ?

Is there a way we can create separate retentions for “individual Teams Chat messages” within same archiving policy ?

I believe if we do not have option to use same Archive Policy , alternate way would be to create a new o365 client and include Team chats alone in the backup with required retention . 

Is there other best options to achieve this requirement ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Pratyush , were you able to confirm your thought about creating a new o365 client to get different retentions?

Badge +3

@Mike Struening Creating a new o365 client was not a viable option as this would have required to exclude all other folders from users mailbox backup ( to ensure we are not backing up same data twice) and is not that convenient . Different users would have different set of folders created under the mailbox .Could not find a better solution for this requirement . Basically ,It is either chat messages adhere to email policy or we do not archive them at all .

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate you coming back to confirm the answer.