Solved

Query regarding VM UUID

• 30 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I have couple of questions related to VM UUID 

1. we have huge amounts of VM backups, we were cross-checking whether UUID is getting matched on both commvault and vmware end. some of the UUID Are same but some are different, Same UUID VM are not restored VM’s so not sure why this diffrence is happening
  2. Is it possible to pull the report using API or something which shows the VM details with UUID from commvault end ? 
icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 1 February 2023, 06:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I have couple of questions related to VM UUID 

1. we have huge amounts of VM backups, we were cross-checking whether UUID is getting matched on both commvault and vmware end. some of the UUID Are same but some are different, Same UUID VM are not restored VM’s so not sure why this diffrence is happening
  2. Is it possible to pull the report using API or something which shows the VM details with UUID from commvault end ? 

Team, Any update on this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Allan0105 

Commvault does not use the VM GUID as located in the VMX file as it is not guaranteed to be unique. We use the UUID provided by vCenter (known as instanceUUID as well), and that is how VMs are matched and tracked as they move between hosts, get renamed etc.

Where you don’t see a match, make sure its not the VM GUID you are looking at.

In the case of a windows VM, here is some powershell code to show the instance UUID:

([guid]((Get-WmiObject win32_bios).SerialNumber -replace "[\s-]","").Substring(6)).ToString()

When restoring, if the UUID already exists as reported by vCenter then a new one will be assigned. This is common when you restore a copy of a VM.

There hasn't really be any issues relating to UUID or GUIDs since the V9 days - things are pretty solid here so I would not expect anything to go wrong. There is code that checks for duplicated, mismatches etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hey @Allan0105 

Commvault does not use the VM GUID as located in the VMX file as it is not guaranteed to be unique. We use the UUID provided by vCenter (known as instanceUUID as well), and that is how VMs are matched and tracked as they move between hosts, get renamed etc.

In the case of a windows VM, here is some powershell code to show the instance UUID:

([guid]((Get-WmiObject win32_bios).SerialNumber -replace "[\s-]","").Substring(6)).ToString()

When restoring, if the UUID already exists as reported by vCenter then a new one will be assigned. This is common when you restore a copy of a VM.

There hasn't really be any issues relating to UUID or GUIDs since the V9 days - things are pretty solid here so I would not expect anything to go wrong. There is code that checks for duplicated, mismatches etc.

Thanks Damian, 

For example, one vm, on commvault end UUID shows as “50019c63-9741-be7e-5251-f3b449c18cb2 but on the VMware end. it shows as “42019194-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx”, and the uuid is not matching. not sure why  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Where are you seeing the UUID in Commvault? logs?

I think there is a table app_vminfoprop that might store it - but need to double check

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Where are you seeing the UUID in Commvault? logs?

I think there is a table app_vminfoprop that might store it - but need to double check

under VM properties 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Allan0105 

In the CS DB you can compare the values for GUID and vmGUID

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @Allan0105 

In the CS DB you can compare the values for GUID and vmGUID

Thanks Remi, GUID and VMGUID is showing same on our commserve end but on the VM side uuid is showing different? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hey @Allan0105 

Thanks Damian, 

it looks like our is VC.uuid is the one which commvault pull from the vcenter and we have used API to get the information from commvault. 

uuid.bios = "42 07 91 7c 22 6a a4 dc-1d 74 aa 67 65 34 05 75"
vc.uuid = "50 07 3f e7 83 16 26 65-bc d9 c7 c4 f2 8a f1 af"