Solved

Question about "Data Integrity Validation" options in Media Agent -> Properties -> General

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

All my media agents have the same settings in Media Agent → Properties → “General” Tab except one, which has ”Validation on Network” not checked (the others do). I found the docs for this setting here:  MediaAgent - Online Help (commvault.com) and its one of those where the definition is basically rewording the setting (not a lot of detail)

Is there any reason anyone would *not* want to check “Validation on Network”?  I’m not sure if it was an oversight or done for some reason for this one media agent. I’m mostly sure it was oversight or forgotten about, but wanted to see if “Validation on Network” was something set by default (I’m on SP16), or if people turn it off as its CPU intensive or mostly unnecessary unless you need xyz protection from bad/choppy network connections.  I would guess that if “Validation on Network” is unchecked… something else would catch invalid data before its written to disk?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 26 May 2022, 22:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @tigger2 .  The reason settings like that are not on by default is generally overhead.  Validation is another step/process that will add load to the MA.  Allowing you to set it (or not) gives you that freedom to choose if it is important enough.

The description, as basic as it is, is correct. It allows you to valid the data at another place.  In theory, other steps would pick up any issues, but when resources are not an issue, you can enable this option as well.

Let me know if that confirms what you already suspected!

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks! This particular media agent is *very* underpowered relative to the others and maybe that's why its set this way. As long as its not ‘dangerous” for data integrity/corruption to turn off I’m much happier (the “validation on media” is checked, which makes sense its probably better to have that one on at least)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My pleasure!