Questions on Ransomware on Linux Media Agents

• 28 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

I have enabled ransomeware protection for Linux MA servers, i can see a context has been added to all the NFS mounts in fstab.

entry. so if i want to add new NFS shares then do i have to manually add the same context to  the new NAS share or i have to execute the same command which is mentioned in below link and then reboot the server ? 

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/122761_ransomware_protection_for_disk_libraries_on_linux_mediaagent_01.html

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@CVLT , I split this out to better track an answer for you.

Can you clarify what you are looking to determine?  Are you asking if you need to RE-enable the feature if yoiu add another new libraries or something else altogether?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi CVLT,

If you create a library configured using local or external disk storage later, the library is protected from ransomware. However, if you create a shared library with the mount path on an NFS share, then you must configure ransomware protection for the library.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/126096_configuring_ransomware_protection_for_disk_library_on_nfs_share.html

• Take a backup of the /etc/fstab system file.

Procedure

1. Open the /etc/fstab system file.

2. Update the file to configure the context for the library to system_u:object_r:cvstorage_t:s0.

Server:/path/to/export /local_mountpoint nfs <options> context="system_u:object_r:cvstorage_t:s0" 0 0
  3. Save the file.

4. Unmount the NFS mount point, and then mount it again for the protection to take effect.

Badge +2

Hii,

Our mediaagents are sharing the existing NAS disk libraries. Currently we have enabled ransomware protection on Linux Mediagents and its NAS disk libraries but i am thinking if in case i have to add another NAS share to the mediaagent do i have to go through the same procedure again which is mentioned in document (like running the commands which unmount all the mounts and reboot the mediaagent) or do i just have to add the context to new NAs share which is already added to existing NAS mounts in fastab

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@IS_CV , once you enable it on the Media Agent, you’re good for future libraries.