Solved

Re-use the tape Storage Policy/Copy by delete the content

• 22 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi, I have recycle the tape backup by setting the retention days. but after i use Erase Spare Media Option, i though the Storage Policy wont get removed but it does. any other way to make the tape not available for other Tape backup storage pool? is there any way to assign the tape to only that particular storage pool? kindly advise. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 28 December 2022, 17:22

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @Raj Balaraj 

Once all of the jobs on the tape have aged it will be recycled back into the scratch pool for any job from any policy to use. We don’t prune data from tapes, simply overwrite the data once all of the jobs have aged.

Thank you,

Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Collin Harper i well know that two diffrent policy cnnot use same tape. my concern here is how to delete the aged content without remove the policy? do the aged policy will release back the tape space? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @Raj Balaraj 

Once a policy has written to a scratch tape, any job from that policy can write to it, but the tape essentially belongs to that policy until all the contents have aged. There is no way to allow two policies to write to a single tape.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Collin Harper i want to re-use the tape, but without delete the assigned tape policy. any way for that? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @Raj Balaraj 

You can put the Tapes in the Overwrite Protect group to prevent them from being re-used.

Thank you,
Collin