Solved

Recently migrated VM;s shutdown during/after snapshot

• 14 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Just in the past 3-4 days - we have been getting notices of servers powering off after they receive a vm snap from commvault. Its a pretty broad issue and nothing is really a smoking gun now. The only common trait is ; the same vm’s that were part of a recent migration are ones that are doing this. 

I was thinking about forcing a storage vmotion to true up any delta or split vmdk’s that could be causing a timeout on the snap. 

From the commvault side the backup is completing. - but the vm is shutdown. I will look further into properties but wanted to drop this here. 

icon

Best answer by Matthew M. Magbee 18 January 2022, 21:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hello,

A few questions please to get a better understanding...

• Are these VM’s shutting down gracefully or is it an unexpected shutdown? (Are the VM’s being powered off ungracefully).
  • Are you performing IntelliSnap backups?
  • If you create a snapshot of the VM’s outside Commvault, does the same issue occur?
  • Can you tell us more detail about the migration which happened?

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Took a few days to get the tests completed. 

They hard shutdown after vm level snap- not intellesnap

I have not been able to test with non commvault snaps. trying to limit downtime.

The migration was a standard vmotion from one site to another. Nothing unusual for us. We do quite a few like this. But its only the ones that migrated. Checking on rules etc. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Update: a manual snapshot does not shutdown the system. Snapped- Deleted snap- still no shutdown.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

UPDATE:

Appears the issue is do to the datastores on that subclient. I split them into 2 seperate clients and cut from 12 to 6 readers. the logs and performance would suggest that the stores were overwhelmed?? Fingers crossed.