Solved

Regrading NetApp Intellisnap backup

• 20 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi experts,

I got a question about NetApp Snapshot from a customer but I’m not sure.

Can you help me on this?

Customer plans to perform the Oracle Backup using Intellisnap for NetApp iSCSI LUN.

After initial full backup NetApp will take a snapshot based on changed block and then CVLT performs subsequent/incremental backup using the snapshot from NetApp.

Can we perform an incremental backup? and changed block/data is only backed up?

Customer intends to save the backup image into Object Storage.

I was wondering 

if we can perform an incremental backup using NetApp Snapshot and

if we can perform a synthetic backup on Object Storage. (Full + Incremental Image)

From what I heard for NBU they can do only a full backup, not incremental backup using snapshot.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Praveen Bandaru 20 January 2022, 19:43

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Hongmo Kim , hope all is well.  I believe the Incremental option depends on the agent, so assuming you are using the Oracle iDA with IntelliSnap, it should work; however, I am confirming with some internal folks.

Either way, someone will reply back here :nerd:

Badge +2

Hi @Hongmo Kim, I hope you are doing well. Yes, we do support Incremental IntelliSnap backups of the Oracle Database provisioned on a Netapp Storage. Once the job completes, we need to enable Backup copy on the Storage Policy so the data in the Incremental snapshots is copied to the Object storage.

Similarly,  we can also perform Synthetic full backups and once the job is done, we need to ensure to configure block-level interface as the backup copy method to copy the data into Object storage.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/20618_performing_oracle_synthetic_full_backup_01.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Mike Struening  @Praveen Bandaru

Thank you guys for opinion.

I was able to find the answer inside of your descriptions :)