Question

Remove backup client for decommissioning servers

• 15 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +5

Our client is decommissioning multiple servers in environment as part of their resource optimization plan. What is the best way to retire them from backup console?

The data can retire as per their storage retention.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Use the option to retire.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/115533_retiring_client_or_agent.html

It will uninstall the agent, and leave the data and psuedoclient intact until the data expires. Once the data expires from retention it will delete the psuedoclient.

Badge +5

Yes Christopher, that's one way of doing it. But the challenge here will be that there are a number of servers that needs to be retired, doing it one by one will be quite time consuming.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Then you just have to script it with a workflow, or something like powershell or python.

How are you getting the list?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

As said by @christopherlecky already you will have to script it or you will have to create a workaround for it .Currently Command Center is lacking support for bulk actions. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@Onno van den Berg , I figure you might like this. 

Lately I have been using powerbi of all things to make changes.

You can pull in excel, sql or rest data easily and then submit a post request using M.

It makes tasks like these so much easier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Onno van den Berg , I figure you might like this. 

Lately I have been using powerbi of all things to make changes.

You can pull in excel, sql or rest data easily and then submit a post request using M.

It makes tasks like these so much easier.

Sounds pretty cool! I hear a nice post coming up to share this coolness with all of us! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I have to tighten it up before doing that. 

A lot of hacky workarounds in there at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

B.t.w. retiring clients via Command Center won't work in case the client is offline already. The retire action from Command Center will try to uninstall the software from the system which times-out resulting in the entire retire action to fail. This leaves the client configured within Command Center also occupying a license. We have an outstanding ticket for it ;-) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

According to the documentation that’s not how it’s supposed to work. 

😂