Solved

Removing clients from schedules

• 25 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

What is the recommended process to remove a client from a schedule? Edit association or decouple from schedule?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 25 January 2021, 17:53

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the post!  Assuming I understand you, it’s just preference.  You can edit the connection from the client itself, or from the Schedule (or Schedule Policy).

If you are looking at a given client when you notice an unneeded schedule, you can remove it there.  If you’re reviewing all associations in a given schedule, you can remove them en masse from that view.

Depends on use case (e.g. do you want to remove client X, or review schedule policy Y), and preference.

Badge +2

Thanks Mike. When we retire a client the first thing we do is remove the client from any schedules. When the client computer has an agent installed and we right click on the client computer we see the “view schedules” option. If it’s on a schedule should the proper or recommended next step be to edit association and remove the client or, should we “decouple” the client from the schedule? and, what is the difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ok, I see where you are now!

Decoupling a Schedule removes the schedule from a Schedule Policy:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=6762.htm

Removing the Client removes it from a schedule:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=6775.htm

The nomenclature sounds similar, but they are separating different entities.  It’s not a matter of better/worse but a matter of what you are trying to do (pull a schedule out of a schedule policy and make it independently editable vs. removing a client from an existing schedule or schedule policy).

Let me know if that clarifies.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just adding to this - if you “Decouple” a client from a schedule policy it will keep the schedule in place but it’s not dictated by the schedule policy anymore and can be individually edited or removed. If you remove a client from a schedule policy it’s not scheduled anymore. 

So the use case of both is completely different … 

In your case as it’s around “retiring” you would probably remove the client from the schedule policy as you don’t want it to be scheduled at all anymore. There also is a “retire client” feature which may be useful for you as it also removes software etc. : https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/expert/102030_retiring_client.html

Badge +2

thanks all! 

One last thing: is there a way (permission or role) to prevent an admin from accidentally adding or removing multiple clients at a time from an association? This question came about because an admin accidentally associated all clients to a schedule which caused issues. likewise we wouldn't want an admin to accidentally remove all clients from an association...just the client we are retiring

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey there @Top Jimmy ,

If my understanding is wrong, let me know! But if you’ve given accounts elevated permissions to change Schedule Associations, than they have all they need to change 1 or many clients.
There may be otherways to mitigate against human error, but permissions is not the answer here.

If you think it would help, i can do some digging to see if there is either an Alert or possibility for a popup to ‘confirm’ your selection when changing many client settings?

Cheers,
Jase

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

As @jgeorges already said - if you have schedule management permission you can do this on all the clients you have that permission on at the same time. You could build a business logic workflow though that checks the Interaction and requests approval from someone if more than X clients are involved in a request. This is not one we have out-of-the-Box though