Solved

Replace Old Media Agent with New One with LUNs

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, Everyone.

So i have this critical issue.

I have a Media Agent with LUNs attached to it, used as Libraries with all Mount Paths configured. Now, the Media agent has crashed.

I have provisioned a new Media and those LUNs can be seen locally the new Media agent.

I want to Library to pick the name of the New Media agent over the old one that crashed.

This is very urgent for me, please. The company is one of our major clients.

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 6 June 2022, 23:45

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

https://ma.commvault.com/Article/Details/53075

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Aplynx The support is under renewal process.

Can we have something for now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , are you getting errors when you try?  Here’s some information on Media Agent refreshes that cover libraries:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/11069_mediaagent_hardware_refresh_overview.html

I want to add that if this is critical, I would highly suggest opening a support case for speedier assistance 🤓

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you,  @Mike Struening 

It all still boils down to Move mount path. The issue is, the media agent is offline. The move process would not start or complete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq I must have misunderstood your first post.  Do you have a new Media Agent online?  Same name, IP, etc.?

Or do you need help bringing the old MA back online?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Yes, the new media agent is online with same ip, hostname and fqdn.

The old media has crashed!.......it is not accessible. About 32 mount paths on the guy. 

From the new media agent,I can see that data is still in those mount paths.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , appreciate the details!

When you say that the new Media Agent can see the mount paths have data, are you referring to within the gui, or that the Media Agent can actually browse the drives and see the chunk folders and files?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Mike Struening I mean from disk management on the new media agent. I can see the percentage of space that has been used on each mount paths.

And the LUNs are actually online on the new MA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , I don’t think I am following.

Confirm what I have right and wrong:

• Media Agent crashed
  • You created a new Media Agent with the same name and IP address
  • Attached the 32 LUNs
  • The LUNs are seen by the Media Agent OS

If that’s all true, then what is the issue?  Are you not seeing the library attached in the GUI?  Are writes ands restores failing?

Can you try a hardware scan?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/8864_scanning_mediaagent_for_hardware_changes.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I would recommend opening a ticket and seeing if you can get approval to work on this issue while the contract is under renewal. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thanks, @Mike Struening 

Yes, you got all my point correctly.

1. The media agent crashed

2. The new media has the same name and ip

3. The new media agents is seeing the LUNs on OS Level.

On the library, the media agent being shown for the mount paths is the old media agent(it was renamed for testing purpose). Whatever name we change the old media agent to, the library and mount path picks it. The old media agent had been deconfigured but not deleted. I want the library and mount paths to pick the new media agent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Aplynx has a good point.  If support is being renewed, they might be able to approve a case in the meantime.

Troubleshooting an issue like this over the forums is very difficult.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you, @Mike Struening & @Aplynx 

Will suggest that to the customer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great!  Once created, please share the case number so I can track it 🤓

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Probably need to update the old machine’s client and hostname to match the new install being attempted to overlay the install instead of doing a configuration in parallel.

Usually it’s easier to change at the winFS level of the media agent since both fields usually aren't available under the MA at the storage resources level.