Solved

Reports for Schedule Policies

• 12 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I am trying to find out if there is a report that I can run for each of my Schedule Policies.  Currently when checking backups from the night before I go into Schedule Policy, go to each of our policies and view jobs.  I can then verify if it went to tape or even look deeper to see what files were backed up.  Is there a report that I could run each night so in the morning I just have reports for each one that I can easily view pretty much the same info of all the Subclients under each policy and the stats for the previous nights backup?  I realize I may have to dig into creating my own reports, which I am still figuring out.  Thank you for any help in pointing me in the right direction.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 16 August 2022, 18:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Heath , thanks for the post!

I’m not seeing a report that does exactly what you want, and a custom report would definitely work.

However, we do have some reports that might get to the heart a bit quicker without being in the exact manner you desire:

Failed Jobs in the last 24 hours.  This will show you if any jobs failed, which should in theory be a shorter list to scan (just not split by schedule policy)

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/38563_data_views_for_failed_jobs_in_last_24_hours_report.html

Job summary Report.  you can schedule these filtered out by client, though I don’t see a schedule policy filter:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/39481_all_jobs_summary_report.html

Job Summary Report (Command Center).  Same as above, though some additional features/interaction options.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/38065_backup_job_summary_report_web_overview.html

We do have a lot of members here who excel at creating all sorts of custom reports and commands, so you might get some more useful tips!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks for the response Mike.  I have tried a few of those reports and they aren’t exactly what I need for how I do my checks each morning.  I may have to teach myself custom reports 😁.  Wish sometimes you could just pull up a screen and wave a wand and that was the report.  I will keep learning and look for more replies.  Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Heath if you could be more specific in what you are looking for than we might be able to relate your whishes to one or two reports than you can use to quickly assess if everything is running fine.

not sure what you look at the amount of files being protected because and why you look at it from the angle of the schedule policies and not just from the angle of the clients. i assume your primary copy goes to disk and that you check the secondary copy to tape to see if it ran. you can put an alert on this as well so it notifies you once it hits an issue which results in a backlog. 

personally I would only focus on things that go wrong, and there are possibilities that allow monitoring and reporting to be configured just like that which results in alerts / reports being send only when issues were found.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Heath we do have an article on how to get started:

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I had a long section written but I think it cleared it all.  I understand that this may be a big report and also that I may have to go make reports for each subclient.  I am trying to learn this stuff but looking at the custom reports can get daunting.  Thank you all for the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is pretty straight forward!

I’m with @Onno van den Berg in that I think you’re getting to the info you need in the wrong/longer path.

All you want to know is:

• Did any jobs fail or Complete With Errors (CWE, it means a component or database was not backed up, not that we skipped a simple file)?
  • How many files were backed up?

The Job Summary Report covers all of that in one easy report.

You can (and absolutely should) create alerts for jobs that fail so you can find out about it sooner (and address as needed).

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5196_alerts_and_notifications_overview.html

At the end of the day, you’re better off getting this information in the quickest and cleanest way possible.  The JS Report in conjunction with Alerts will do that for you, every time.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Again thank you all for the help.  When our company went to commvault only the main network admin got any training, I had to learn it all myself and gather what I could from what little was shown to me, so all this help is amazing.  I was looking at the Job Summary Report and I can probably make it work.  THe one thing I can’t find is a way to add if it was put on tape/media or not.  I am wondering if I have to pull the summary report as a template into the Report Creator and just add that column.  I do have some alerts set already, and one of the reasons I do the checking the way I do is because of Audits that are looking for specific info.  Hopefully I can get them switched over to reports showing it worked and for the few things that I need to see specific subclients I run super special reports for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You should be able to cobble together reports/sources.

One thing to check out, is the videos on our docs site.  Just add Videos as a filter and you’ll see what we have:

https://documentation.commvault.com/search?q=access%20node%20gruop&oem=commvault&majorVersion=11&minorVersion=28&site=expert#q=group&t=All&sort=relevancy&f:commonsource=[Educational%20Videos]