Question

Restore NDMP files&folders cross-platform

• 16 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

We have some data/volumes/svm backed up from Netapp using NDMP protocol. Data was baked up when CS was v11 FR24. Meanwhile the data was migrated to a new Dell Unity NAS device. We have in backup as well the "new” migrated data using NDMP protocol (CS v11 FR28/2022e), while the old SVM on Netapp was decommissioned. I need to restore cross-platform some files/folders from NDMP Netapp backed up v11FR24 into NDMP Dell Unity backed up now via v11FR28. The idea is i do not have the option to select as destination any Dell Unity device (so nothing in the drop down menu as an option for Destination where to restore, only some bunch of unix/windows servers). Is this type of restore supported? i remember in the past that i did it (Netapp to dell, but fr24 to fr24), not so sure though and i might be wrong.

Any thought/hint on this it will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

2 replies

Badge +2

I was looking to the manual, but is not stated very clear (ambiguous  definition):  

Out-of-Place Restore Operations for the NDMP Agent

You can restore the data to the following locations:

• Different volume/folder on the same file server

• Different file server

• Windows or Unix client

Out-of-Place Restore Operations for the NDMP Agent (commvault.com)

Badge +2

I guess it is not supported. Found it in the manual:

Restoring to a Different File Server

Updated Tuesday, April 23, 2019

On this page

You can restore data to a different file server of the same type as the source file server.

For example:

Restoring from one EMC Celerra file server to another EMC Celerra file server is supported.

Restoring from an EMC Celerra file server to a NetApp file server is not supported.