Solved

Restore Oracle DB Out of Place - Temp Table Space

• 7 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community, 

Today I would like to ask you about Oracle out of place database recovery, specifically about TEMP table space recovery.

The problem appears when Oracle DB is restored out of place. It’s full restore of DB - with control files but without spfile.

The name of the target database is different from the original name. Both the original and target environments have database files located on ASM disks, however the ASM group names on the two servers are not identical. After entering the appropriate fields in the Redirect tab (as in the attachment), all database files except are restored correctly, but the tablespace Temp file aren’t. The Temp tablespace is created, but I have to create the database file with the sql command after logging into the database.

Each time the restore job on the Commvault side was Completed, with no errors.

Please let me know what I should enter in the Redirect Temp Table Spaces field if I expect the temporary tablespace file to be restored to the +DATA/abcTEST/DATAFILE/

Thanks&Regards,
Kamil

icon

Best answer by Commvault Marcus 24 May 2022, 20:44

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  You should enter the path where you you want it created.  The software will create the Temp DB automatically while creating the control file.

Userlevel 4

Hi, 

Thanks @Orazan for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, the path indication still doesn’t create the temporary tablespace file. The workaround is the sqlplus command which will solve the problem, but where do I find the problem why does Commvault not do it automatically?

Rgrds,
Kamil

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Kamil are you able to share the RMAN log from your restore?

Userlevel 4

@Carl Manzi sure, below RMAN.log from the first attempts. If you need a new one, let me know.

Rgrds,
Kamil

Userlevel 4

Hi,

Anyone have an idea where the problem could be?

Rgrds

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

My two cents for files that are in ASM use Oracle Manged Files

A typical ASM file name is in the format:

+group/dbname/file_type/file_type_tag.file#.incarnation#

Where:

+group is the disk group name preceded by a plus sign.

You can think of the plus sign (+) as the root directory of the ASM file system, similar to the slash (/) on UNIX or Linux computers.

dbname is the DB_UNIQUE_NAME of the database to which the file belongs.

file_type is the Oracle file type, e.g. datafile, controlfile, onlinelog, etc.

file_type_tag is type specific information about the file, e.g. tablespace name for datafile.

Can you try just with the ASM disk group name for the temp table space +DATA and let Oracle do the rest.