Solved

Restore Virtual Guest Files and Folders

• 19 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi,
we backup our vSphere VMs with virtual File Agent.
Our Version is 11.28.44.
In order to restore individual files or folders, the backup must be in the B2D area or is it also possible from tape?

Regards
Dennis

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 19 January 2023, 10:26

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Generally, its not supported to recover files from a VM located on tape. But there are exceptions. If you have an older virtualization client on indexing V1 with the ‘collect file details‘ option enabled on the subclient, then it would be possible. More details on that option here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/126601_metadata_collection.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks,
actually i backup my fileserver with the default subclient. The option “Collect file details” is not enabled.
Is it a solution to create a new subclient for my fileserver and enable this option?
Is it then possible to recover files and folders from tape?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks,
actually i backup my fileserver with the default subclient. The option “Collect file details” is not enabled.
Is it a solution to create a new subclient for my fileserver and enable this option?
Is it then possible to recover files and folders from tape?

An alternative is to create another copy in your storage policy and copy the VM back to disk, and then restore the files. But yes you could create a separate subclient with that option enabled too.

Badge +1

Hi,

Sorry for interfering in this thread, but I am in the same position.

@Damian Andrecould you please explain the steps for creating another copy to restore the VM back to disk?

Regards,

Florian

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi,

Sorry for interfering in this thread, but I am in the same position.

@Damian Andrecould you please explain the steps for creating another copy to restore the VM back to disk?

Regards,

Florian

Short version - On your storage policy in the commcell browser, right click and create a new copy. Pick selective copy as the copy type and then if you view jobs on the new copy, you can right click and pick the ones you want to create a copy of then run an auxiliary copy job to create a copy

Badge +1

Thanks!

Badge +1

Hey @Damian Andre ,

this won’t work when using a deduped library, or does it? 🤔

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Damian Andre ,

this won’t work when using a deduped library, or does it? 🤔

Thanks again!

It does yes, you can create a copy from anything to anything