Question

Restoring DB of same SQL Server client but from two different Commserve

• 7 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

We have a Client “SQLVM1” running SQL Agent 11.20 on Commserve1.

We are setting up Commserve2 running v11.30. We will uninstall the SQL Agent 11.20 on SQLVM1 and then install the new SQL Agent version on “SQLVM1” from Commserve2.

Question:

How to restore SQL data backed-up on Commserve1 when SQLVM1 will be migrated to Commserve2?

Commserve1 is also Media Agent and contains the disk library. Of course, Commserve1 is available until expiration of the retention.

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@brucquat So the client machine is moving from CS1 to CS2?

One thing with the SQL agent is you can restore to any machine that has the SQL agent installed. This can be any Windows machine (does not need to be running MSSQL itself) We can still restore to disk.

You could restore those old backups to a disk location which is accessible to SQLVM1 then restore that data in SQL.

Otherwise you are looking at Commcell migration which is more involved to “migrate’ the data from CS1 to CS2
https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5078_commcell_migration_overview.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

yes the client machine SQLVM1 will be moved from CS1 to CS2.

the process I foresee is the following:

1. We uninstall the SQL agent of SQLVM1 from CS1 then SQLVM1 will be unregister from CS1
  2. We install the SQL agent on SQLVM1 from CS2

But then if a restore is required I cannot see how to access the backed-up data from CS1 as SQLVM1 is no more registered. 

Probably there is another possible approach

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Correct.

Either CC migration in the link. 

Or you can restore the data to another client that is registered on CS1 where the SQLVM1 would have access to the data location.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks but sorry but I cannot find my way in the CC migration link.

Thanks for your help.