Question

Retiring Server, what is the recommended method to stop backing up, while retaining data through the storage policy period and aging data off?

• 25 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

As title implies, I am retiring a VM Server. Currently, this server gets backed up daily, and it kept on local disk storage for a period of 1 month. 

What is the correct prescribed method using the command center GUI to “stop” the daily backups, and then just have the data age off for the next month until there is no data left and I can delete the VM from the VM group backup. 

Do I simply change the “plan” the vm is affiliated with to “none”?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  You can retire the client.  It will deconfigure and uninstall the client.  If there is data still associated, the client will not be removed from the CommCell until the data meets retention:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/115533_retiring_client_or_agent.html

• You can continue to restore data from a retired client or agent until the retention parameters for the data are met.

Badge +1

I dont see the option to “retire” anymore. I do recall seeing that when we are on 11.24, but now we are on 11.28.44.

This is a VM inside of its own VM Group. So for example, we have VM Group “server 1” and the only Vm inside that VM Group is the actual “Server1”

Ive looked in Protection>Vitual Machines>Virtual Machines… and found the VM  Clicking the “3 Dot” menu to the right presents the following options:

Selecting the “3 dot” menu to the right when going to Protection>Vitual Machines>VM Group only yields these options:

Badge

Ghosted ...nice I need to do this too , I think we need a new backups software provider

Badge +4

What version are you using?