Solved

Rocky linux and Commvault

Badge +2

Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone is using the Rocky linux operating system as a media agent?

Do you have any issues or thoughts regard this combination?

So far i have encountered an operating system freeze and I am wondering if Rocky is good replacement for Centos.

Regards,

Marcin

icon

Best answer by Marcin Baran 6 July 2022, 11:03

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I would like to ask if anyone is using the Rocky linux operating system as a media agent?

I believe Rocky was started by one of the CentOS founders?  I have not used it, but I imagine it should be a suitable replacement for CentOS. Personally I have been converting my servers to AlmaLinux and have not had any issues with them.

Commvault docs will probably start showing Oracle Linux for the RHEL clone.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

As per the System requirement Rocky Linux 8.x with glibc 2.28.x supported from SP26, if you let us know the SP version you are planning to implement, we can check if it is supported and if there is any known issues and maintenance releases/hotfix for the same.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/2822_mediaagent_system_requirements.html

Badge +2

Rocky was founded the original CentOS project founder.

I have commvault 11.26.27 and glibc is in version 2.28-189.1.el8.x86_64 installed on MA (according to requirements).

I saw that media agent lost connection to commserve somewhere around DDB verification, DDB backup and backup of its own file system.

I thought operating system freeze because of bug named “Commvault services may crash on Linux when optimized scan is enabled for the client”.

Regards,

Marcin

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Marcin,

I have checked the hotfix “3418” (Commvault services may crash on Linux when optimized scan is enabled for the client), and this is fixed in SP26.27, so even if it is causing the issue here, it should be addressed with the version you have installed. Also this issue (hotfix 3418) is not specific to Rocky Linux. I was unable to find any known issues with Rocky Linux in SP26 releases. 

Badge +2

I am sorry I forgot to mention that first installation was on version 11.26.18.

Recently I upgraded to version 11.26.27, because hofixes sometimes help in such situations even if they don't relate to a specific linux distribution.

Badge +2

Even after upgrade there was another freeze of OS with message:

cvblk: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
cvblk: module license 'CommVault Systems' taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
cvblk: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

It’s look like block level driver issues freeze.

Regards,

Marcin

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

It’s look like block level driver issues freeze.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/3515_block_level_backup_for_unix_system_requirements_01.html

Does your kernel version align what’s documented for CentOS or RHEL?

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +2

Kernel 4.18.0-372.9.1.el8.x86_64 is not listed in Block-Level Backup for UNIX System Requirements.

I changed back to kernel 4.18.0-348.20.1.el8_5.x86_64 which is listed in Block-Level Backup for UNIX System Requirements for redhat. If I remember correctly it has same issue, but I will check if it will help.

Regards,

Marcin

Badge +2

So far none of servers has restarted on kernel version 4.18.0-348. Messages regarding kernel taint also disappeared.

Regards,

Marcin

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!  I marked your reply as the Best Answer.