Solved

Scheduling incremental Appaware backups for SQL Server

• 27 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Dear all,

We perform the backup of all our MSSQL VMs by aggregating them in one sublient, scheduled by an ad-hoc policy. The daily incrementals are scheduled at 7pm with the following options

1. Notwithstanding the attached configuration, the SQL Server Appaware daily backups are always full. I remember I read somewhere that this is expected, is this correct?
  2. The Data checkbox is unchecked and this somewhat surprising for me. Shouldn’t it be selected for the job to backup SQL data?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit dummy but I inherited the management of the Commvault platform from a colleague and some choices from the past are still a bit unclear.

Thank you in advance

Gaetano

icon

Best answer by Orazan 27 January 2023, 13:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  Yes App Aware backups of SQL are Full backups only.  The reason only transaction logs are checked is because transaction log jobs are actually run from the SQL client.  The database backup is backed up by the VSA agent.  If a restore is needed, that data is mined from a Virtual Server backup, not a SQL backup.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Good morning.  Yes App Aware backups of SQL are Full backups only.  The reason only transaction logs are checked is because transaction log jobs are actually run from the SQL client.  The database backup is backed up by the VSA agent.  If a restore is needed, that data is mined from a Virtual Server backup, not a SQL backup.  

Hi @Orazan , thank you for this much welcome clarification, this helps a lot.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Glad I could be of assistance.  Have a great weekend! 😀