Question

Sending nightly copy of MS SQL DB to Azure blob storage

• 11 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

We have a client who we need to give a nightly full copy of their MS SQL DB to their azure blob storage.  We have been manually doing this weekly by using MS Azure File explorer to send to them, but they want it nightly.  I have added their Azure blob storage as a library, but I’m unsure how to create a job to do this.  I need to supply them with either a .bak of their DB, or MDF/LDF file that they can use as needed.  Does anyone know of a simple way I can do this?  Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@doxymoron 

An aux copy will not work as it will write the data in native CV format not bak or DB files.

You would have to perform a restore. If you have a server (any windows server does not have to be a SQL server) you can install the CV SQL agent on that server and attach the azure storage?

Then you can schedule a nightly/daily whenever restore of the latest backup to disk which will generate .bak files.

Badge +1

Is it possible to attach Azure storage as a drive in windows?  We don’t use Azure in any capacity, so I’m not sure of it’s capabilities.  I have looked into the scheduled restore but didn’t know where to go from there.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yes for schedules restore you would go through steps to perform the restore normally and in advanced options select

restore to disk

full backup only

latest backup data

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/61506_advanced_restore_options_options.html

By selecting these options when the job runs it will grab only the last full that ran before the restore started and restore that job. Just set a schedule and your are done.

As for the attaching I am not 100% sure but believe its possible. If not you are also automate something on the server to upload that restore folder you pick for the restore to disk to upload to azure.