Solved

Separating the WebServer from the CommServe

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello, 
is there a best practice guide if I want to separate a Commvault web server from the CommServe. 
I want to outsource the web server to its own VM. 
And another problem I would like to solve is the accessibility after a failover. We have a problem in our production environment that the web/admin console is not available after failover. In the production environment, the web server was disconnected from CommServe from the beginning.   

Kind Regards

Thomas

icon

Best answer by thomas.S 3 June 2022, 15:02

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  Have you reviewed the documentation for doing a hardware refresh for a Web Server:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/13353_web_server_hardware_refresh.html

Please review and let me know if you have any questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @thomas.S 

There is no clear instruction on documentation how to position the webserver on a different machine in relation to an existing livesync setup.

But here you go:

• Run Orazan’s instruction for the webserver
  • Assuming you have a default livesync setup, make sure the webserver is member of the group “External Clients for Failover” in order to route communication via the commserve's instance002
  • You can now choose to setup the sql/odbc connection in a general less secure matter and expose the commserve instances to the webserver, or
    You can choose to expose the commserve instances securely via the Commvault tunnel to the webserver.

If you want to expose the instance securely via the commvault tunnel let me know so I can provide the needed registry/sql steps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Orazan

thank you very much for the quick help. 
The instructions are for SP24 but I think the same steps should also apply for SP20. I will go ahead and install a new web server and will report back with the result. 

Hello​​​​​​@Jos Meijer ,

Since we already have the web server running on its own VM in production, I will check if the web server is still reachable after a failover now. This was not in the group "External Clients for failover clients topology". I have added this now. 
The new web server is for our Commvault test environment.
I think I will be able to say something about the availability of the web server after the failover in two days, because we have to install the Windows updates again the day after tomorrow. 

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello, 

Another quick question. Since we have the WebServer on the CommServe in the test environment, is it enough to stop the services for Tomcat here ? Would not uninstall the WebServer packages until the new web server is working.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Jos Meijer 

I performed a scheduled failover today. Unfortunately it did not work. After the failover, the web/admin console was no longer accessible. I have uploaded a screenshot as well as the Workflow Engine log. Is there possibly another tip how I can fix this problem in the future ?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The SQL/ODBC connection isn't working.

Did you open firewall ports to make the SQL instance visible for the webserver? Or did you connect with the SQL instance over the Commvault tunnel?

I recommend the latter one as the SQL connection will automatically switch as well when a failover takes place.

Let me know if you want to walk this path, then I can send you the steps needed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Jos Meijer ,

yes, I would like to go that way. How can I change the settings to communicate via 8403 and redirect the web server to the active CommServe in case of failover ?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello, 

Today I tried to separate the WebServer from the CommServe of our test environment.
I followed the instructions so far that I installed the components of the web server on the new VM via the download manager of Commvault and stopped the services for the web server on the CommServe VM. 
I created a backup of the DM2 database via SQL Studio and restored that backup in SQL Studio on the new VM. During the installation of the WebServer components, the wizard still asked for a DM2.dmp file. The backup that I had made via SQL Studio was not accepted by the wizard. 
Since I could not find this point in the documentation, I wanted to ask if someone could show me the error here ?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Badge +3

Hi Thomas,

Good morning. From your Commserve machine, within the <Commvault_InstallPath>\ContentStore\CommserveDR folder, this should contain all the SQL Databases created by Commvault during your DR backup. You should be able to find with with the DM2 naming convention. 

I hope this helps. 

Regards,

Ray.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @Jos Meijer ,

yes, I would like to go that way. How can I change the settings to communicate via 8403 and redirect the web server to the active CommServe in case of failover ?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Hi @thomas.S 

Here are the steps needed:

Open the Java Gui and make sure the webserver is added to the client group: External Clients for Failover.

Check on the active Commserve, passive Commserve and webserver if the SQL Server Configuration Manager port is set static to 1433:

SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration -> Client Protocols -> TCP/IP -> double click -> default port, must have value 1433 and Enabled on Yes

Go to the Java Gui and start the workflow: ConfigureThirdPartyConnections

Select Insert en then OK

Select options:

Source Client: Webserver

Source Port: 5000

TPPM type: Any

Destination Client: Commserve

Destination Port: 1433

Follow the workflow to apply the changes.

The webserver should now have a line in Fwconfig.txt:

[vpnclient]

Tppm src=any:5000 dst=1433 via=<GUID NR> # TPPM via Commserve

Go to the webserver and open regedit, go to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\Database

Edit key: sINSTANCE

Value: 127.0.0.1,5000\Commvault

Open the ODBC Data Source Administrator (64-bit) on the webserver

Go to tab System DSN

Click on System Data Source ending on _CommServ and click Configure

Define the server: 127.0.0.1,5000\Commvault

Click next, next finish.

Check on the webserver if there is an alias defined in the SQL Server Configuration Manager:

SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration -> Aliases, if there is no entry pointing to 127.0.0.1\Commvault then create it:

Alias Name: 127.0.0.1\Commvault

Port No: 1433

Protocol: TCP/IP

Server: 127.0.0.1\Commvault

Open the Java Gui and add an additional setting to the webserver client:

Name: nPORT

Category: Database

Type: Integer

Value: 1433

Comment: ODBC port

Restart the webserver and check if the Command Center works, check for the commserve hostname shown in: Manage -> CommCell -> About -> CommServe

Should show you the hostname for the active commserve, for example: server1.dns.suffix

Test a live sync fail over and check the Command Center again, check for the commserve hostname shown in: Manage -> CommCell -> About -> CommServe

Should show you the hostname for the passive commserve, for example: server2.dns.suffix

Let me know the result 😀

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello, 

after making some errors the first time, I have already set up a new VM and wanted to install the WebServer components. I now get the following error during the installation: 

2976  1     05/05 10:48:01 ### ### ### - Installing required third-party packages...
2976  19    05/05 10:48:01 ### ### ### - Download URL:[https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/BUILD80/SP24_3589820_R952/Windows/], NumberOfDownloadStreams:[3]
2976  1     05/05 10:48:01 ### ### ### - Started install/update of package: SMO2012...
2976  19    05/05 10:48:01 ### ### ### - Download URL:[https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/BUILD80/SP24_3589820_R952/Windows/], NumberOfDownloadStreams:[3]
2976  19    05/05 10:48:02 ### ### ### - Download URL:[https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/BUILD80/SP24_3589820_R952/Windows/], NumberOfDownloadStreams:[3]
2976  19    05/05 10:48:02 ### ### ### - Download URL:[https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/BUILD80/SP24_3589820_R952/Windows/], NumberOfDownloadStreams:[3]
2976  19    05/05 10:48:03 ### ### ### - Downloading SQL Standard installer ...
2976  19    05/05 10:48:03 ### ### ### - Download URL:[https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/MSSQL/], NumberOfDownloadStreams:[2]
2976  19    05/05 10:48:03 ### ### ### - Downloading file: [https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/MSSQL/SQL_Standard_2019.zip?__cv__=1651742283_f531de23ebf24c4f7c9a4507d3b34112]
2976  15    05/05 10:48:03 ### ### ### - 2258955319 is already present in C:\Program Files\Commvault\installer\ThirdParty\MSSQL\SQL_Standard_Edition\SQL_Standard_2019_CU11.zip.checksum, the zip file C:\Program Files\Commvault\installer\ThirdParty\MSSQL\SQL_Standard_Edition\SQL_Standard_2019_CU11.zip will not be downloaded again
2976  1     05/05 10:48:23 ### ### ### - Error: Failed to install SMO2012(SMO2012) with error code 0x80070643.  
2976  1     05/05 10:48:23 ### ### ### - Set application exit code=[Failed]
2976  1     05/05 10:48:23 ### ### ### - Abort cache package thread.
2976  19    05/05 10:48:23 ### ### ### - Error: Download webexception: An exception occurred during a WebClient request..
2976  19    05/05 10:48:23 ### ### ### - Error: Couldn't download file: https://downloadcenter.commvault.com/CVMedia/11.0.0/MSSQL/SQL_Standard_2019.zip?__cv__=1651742283_f531de23ebf24c4f7c9a4507d3b34112. It will be retried after 30 seconds...
2976  19    05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Error: Failed to download sql installer. Exception [Thread was being aborted.]
2976  19    05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Error: Exception:[Thread was being aborted.]
2976  19    05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Warning: Unable to download\copy files. Error: Thread was being aborted.
2976  1     05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Apply prerequisites completed ...  Status = -2147023293
2976  1     05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Error: Installation failed. Please check the logs at [C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Log Files].
2976  1     05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Set application exit code=[FailedInstallThirdParty]
2976  4     05/05 10:48:53 ### ### ### - Showing dialog : CompletionExitViewModel .......

Are there currently problems on the repos or am I making a mistake here.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Looks like that machine cannot connect to downloadcenter.commvault.com the dsn changes you made should have no effect on this.

can you connect to downloadcenter.commvault.com from this vm? Do you require a proxy to speak to outside clients?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @christopherlecky

hmm, I rather assumed a temporary problem on the other side, because I could install everything without problems with the first VM. Then I will ask the colleagues from the proxy/firewall department. 

we always have a proxy in between.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@thomas.S did you manage to finalize the installation?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Jos Meijer

currently the installation could not be completed yet. I currently have a case open in our proxy/firewall department and am waiting for feedback here. 

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @thomas.S 

Ahh ok no worries, looking forward to the results after your case request has been processed by the proxy/firewall team 👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Jos Meijer

it took me a little longer to work on this problem. It seems that we have this problem because the installer for the installation tries to communicate directly to the outside, although in Windows our company proxy is stored. Unfortunately, I can't explicitly specify in the Commvault installer that it should use the proxy. 
Has anyone had this problem before ?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Jos Meijer

The problem was with the proxy or the default settings of the OS image. The setting "Automatically detect setting 
had to be deactivated. So this was a misconfiguration.
So the problem is solved. 

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for sharing the solution @thomas.S !

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello @Jos Meijer ,

Kind Regards

Thomas

Hi @thomas.S 

Here are the steps needed:

Open the Java Gui and make sure the webserver is added to the client group: External Clients for Failover.

Check on the active Commserve, passive Commserve and webserver if the SQL Server Configuration Manager port is set static to 1433:

SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration -> Client Protocols -> TCP/IP -> double click -> default port, must have value 1433 and Enabled on Yes

Go to the Java Gui and start the workflow: ConfigureThirdPartyConnections

Select Insert en then OK

Select options:

Source Client: Webserver

Source Port: 5000

TPPM type: Any

Destination Client: Commserve

Destination Port: 1433

Follow the workflow to apply the changes.

The webserver should now have a line in Fwconfig.txt:

[vpnclient]

Tppm src=any:5000 dst=1433 via=<GUID NR> # TPPM via Commserve

Go to the webserver and open regedit, go to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\Database

Edit key: sINSTANCE

Value: 127.0.0.1,5000\Commvault

Open the ODBC Data Source Administrator (64-bit) on the webserver

Go to tab System DSN

Click on System Data Source ending on _CommServ and click Configure

Define the server: 127.0.0.1,5000\Commvault

Click next, next finish.

Check on the webserver if there is an alias defined in the SQL Server Configuration Manager:

SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration -> Aliases, if there is no entry pointing to 127.0.0.1\Commvault then create it:

Port No: 1433

Value: 1433

Restart the webserver and check if the Command Center works, check for the commserve hostname shown in: Manage -> CommCell -> About -> CommServe

Should show you the hostname for the active commserve, for example: server1.dns.suffix

Test a live sync fail over and check the Command Center again, check for the commserve hostname shown in: Manage -> CommCell -> About -> CommServe

Should show you the hostname for the passive commserve, for example: server2.dns.suffix

Let me know the result 😀

Hey @Jos Meijer ,

Nice of you to share this with the community, I had to go through quite some support calls to get this to work. Purpose to build a webserver/commandcenter farm behind a loadbalancer.

Anyway, shouldn’t the last 2 steps of your guide not refer to port 5000 instead?

i.e. : 

Port No: 5000

Value: 5000

Kind regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @renaatski 

I have double checked in my live environment and these 1433 are the correct settings as this defines the ODBC port usage.

Kind regards,

Jos