Solved

Sharing reports created in Java console

Badge +1

Hello

We have just gone into production with Commvault and are starting to look in more detail at the various reports available.  I’ve created a couple and so has a colleague but we are wondering how we can share these and/or simply make them available to the team. 

I cannot seem to export my reports (to XML) in the Java console and also there does not appear to be a corresponding “My Reports” in the web console. 

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 19 May 2022, 12:48

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/105131_configuring_user_access_to_report.html

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Follow those instructions to give a user or group access and the reports will then show up in their reporting dashboard

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If you are both master users you should see each others reports in Reports - Other Reports

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Sorry he said Java Console.

Use the webconsole for reports if you have the option

Badge +1

@christopherlecky 

We do most of our work in the Java console as it seems, at this early stage, that there’s more functionality.  Also our trainer told us the same. 

There also seems to be a ton more options for reports in the Java console, e.g. there seems to be no option to select the storage policies.  The option to select all or various types of failure seems to exist in Java but not web. 

Should I seeing a “My Reports” in the web or do I need to create one (not using Java) for that to appear? 

Thanks 

Badge +1

If I open this report, I have the options to save a view or run my selections right now.

I can save as CSV etc but there does not seem to be an obvious way of saving my own copy, unless it is create a view.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@davegray , following up on this one.

Were you able to get what you need for either Command Center or the CommCell Console?

As @Jos Meijer mentioned, if you are master users you should see each others reports in Reports - Other Reports in the CommCell Browser menu on the left hand side.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

If I open this report, I have the options to save a view or run my selections right now.

I can save as CSV etc but there does not seem to be an obvious way of saving my own copy, unless it is create a view.

I just wanted to circle back on this as this is kind of a cancer in technology in general.

The web console was created to solve a number of issues imposed by the java console.

That said the early console was… bad… like really bad.

But over the years it has gotten better and it keeps getting better.

So my suggestion for people who are new to commvault is to use the webconsole as it is intended to replace the java gui, the Java GUI has to drag along the all the cruft from the inception of the product, making it some that some things don’t even make any logical sense as presented in the Java GUI, also many new features simply do not get back ported to the java GUI.

Your trainer my have been right at one point, the Webconsole was a poor substitute for the Java GUI, but I would strongly suggest that you foster the habit of using the web console.

There will always be the graybeards that stick to the old ways, and while there are definite benefits to doing so there are also downsides, the greybeards are not aware of the new functionality being added, and while they may be exeptionally good at using the Java GUI in its current form the new things are passing them by.

Technology has a life-cycle that looks very much like a human life.

Infancy → growth → maturity → waning years → death

The Java Console is somewhere between maturity and waning years.

The Web Console is somewhere between growth and maturity.

In the next few years the Java console will simply get old and then die.

The Web Console during that same time tired will reach maturity. 

Think about all those Pascal programmers you know. Don’t know any? Exactly.