Question

SLA Status

• 18 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community,

I would like to understand how the SLA status logic works and possible changes for the days criterion in the Plan.

We noticed that when the SLA Status is set to 30 days, for example, the virtual machines have a "Met" status, but if we change the days criterion to a different one, the SLA Status for each of the virtual machines changes to "Excluded".

Initially, even when returning to the previous setting of 30 days, the SLA Status still indicated "Excluded", but we assumed that it must reload and in fact after 24 hours the status changed to "Met".

By way of further tests, we changed the days criterion to 37 days and after 24 hours, the SLA Status for virtual machines is still "Excluded".

I want to understand how the whole mechanism works and according to what rules, because I didn’t find a direct answer to these questions in the Commvault documentation.

Screenshots in the attachment showing the SLA status 24 hours after changing the days criterion.

If we change this parameter to e.g. 29 days or 37 days, does the system have to see the tasks that have been corrected backwards for the X days we indicate - or does it work differently?

Thanks for help,
Kamil

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Kamil 

The SLA status should show Met as long as a there is a successful backup within the SLA period. 

For the VMs that are showing Excluded, if you mouseover the word Excluded on the report it should pop-up with the reason why its excluded.

Let me know what it returns as the reason. Thanks

Userlevel 4

Hello @Matt Medvedeff 

When we hover over the SLA status for the VM, I have a description: deconfigured.

In the SLA report, we don't see anything about the description for this VM SLA status.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

They are moving back and forward and are still making adjustments on this piece so it is a must to run the latest version and maintenance release. Just out-of-curiosity but it seems you are still playing around with it, right? What is your line of thinking when it comes to the default figure of 30-days and are you thinking to change it? Fyi we changed it to 1-days on all our environments. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Onno van den Berg 

A decision has been made to leave the default condition of days - 30 days. Maybe in some time we will return to the topic and check if the SLA status is updated correctly.

At the moment the topic is closed, anyway thanks for your help and commitment to the topic :)

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Kamil,

Clear, however I'm curious to learn what you think of a SLA of 30-days. E.g. this means that the system will give green light as long as you have a completed backup in that period. I myself have never encountered agreements with customers which allowed a possible gap of so many days. 

Onno

Userlevel 4

Hi @Onno van den Berg 

In general, this value of 30 days remains the default for customers, but the question arose whether this parameter can be changed to a different number of days - the answer is of course.

We encountered the problem that this status was changing to Excluded, but after 24 hours it was most often updated. In the case of the change to 37 days, after 24 hours the change was not visible, so we suspected that he must actually see correctly made backups for the last 37 days, but we do not have confirmation, because we returned to the default value of 30 days. In some time, maybe we'll come back to the topic and check if the status will actually change to "Met" for a value greater than 30 days.

In general, I also don't see much point in increasing this value above 30 days, but rather lowering it to a lower value :) As a rule, we want the SLA to be as high as possible, so 30 days is still a big "reserve".

Kind Regards,
Kamil