Solved

SQL query to check DDB generation

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can anyone help me with the SQL query or table name where I can see the DDB generation i.e. DDB V4 or V5. 

icon

Best answer by Sean Crifasi 12 May 2022, 16:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I don't believe there is a value you can query.

It is a combination of factors which tells you if you have V4 or v5.

Can you check the deduplication engine for V10 or v11?

if v11 then check the properties of the ddb, is garbage collection on?

Is it a transactional ddb?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi wstbackup,

there is actually a version to query, but it doesn’t really help you as it is all version 4. This is because from a software perspective there is no difference in version number between what we (CV-internally) call v4 and v5. As Jos already explained, the difference is all about the additional options available for “v5” DDBs, which are stored as extended flags in the CommServe database. But these can also be easily checked in the Java GUI (properties of the DDB → Garbage Collection / Pruning Logs enabled or not). You may enable Garbage Collection, and the GUI will deny if the DDB still has the old format.

Hope this helps.

There used to be a report available on CV Cloud named “DDB Conversion Tracker” which queries DDB details and allows you to estimate if a DDB is already using the new (compacted) format which is a prerequisite for Garbage Collection and/or Pruning Log usage, but that report is not publically available anymore. You may open a Support incident to ask for that report as I assume it was just removed from public repository, but it should still be available via our Support.

Regards,

Markus

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

There is the DDB Dashboard from cloud or webconsole with private metrics that will show you if garbage collection is enabled in one easy to view list.
https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/135/664/17874

It doesn’t directly say it’s version but it makes it much quicker to identify who doesn’t currently have garbage collection on, indicating that it’s not v5.

Regards,
Sean

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Okay, so in one of our recent case with Support - we accidently came upon this discussion and the technician said this - “ Garbage Collection was initially advertised as V5, but (as far as the database is concerned internally) garbage collection is V4. Horizontal Scaling is technically V5. “

So what are the features other than Garbage Collection & Horizontal Scaling to ensure I am on the most optimized & advanced DDB? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi wstbackup,

so, if you are able to enable Garbage Collection and Horizontal Scaling on your DDBs, you should be on the latest and greatest DDB version.

Regards,

Markus