Solved

SQL Restore point-in-time to time with seconds

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hell all,

A customer asked me, if it is possible to restore a MS SQL backup to a time e.g. 11.:23:45 (seconds). During restore only minutes are shown. This is necessary to keep database and documents of a document system in sync. As far as I know in Oracle should it be possible.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 9 June 2022, 21:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @ThomasG 

Yes! You must select the advanced restore options in the simplified restore if using the Commcell Console GUI.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/18247_restoring_sql_databases_to_point_in_time.html
You will then select point-in-time and provided an option to enter your specific hour:minutes:seconds

Note you must have transaction log backups to restore point in time. You will want to schedule regular tlog backups if this type of restore is required.

Also adding if using Command Center you can also perform a PIT. You would goto the database in question then on the calendar select your date and enter your time.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @Scott Reynolds ,

Thank you. I forgot the option “Advanced restore”, my fault. There is another question: How do we find the exact time of a backup of single files (not the complete job, only e.g. a single file) in a fileserver backup? We also need this to keep database and documents in sync.

Thank you and regards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @ThomasG 

I do not believe that there is something to give you the exact time a specific file was backed up with the file system agent, there might be other folks that can chime in here?