Question

Standby CommServe install hangs

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Good day Community,

For a second customer this month, when I install the standby CommServe it hangs and spins. The first customer took three full reinstall to finally get it through. But the current client, it never works and always hangs. 

In the install log file, it hangs on this line.

Adding environment variable [CV_Instance001] = [C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base]

When I look the variables, it is there.

I’m using version 11.28.44

Is this something common?

Thanks in advance.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Carl Brault,

I’ve gone through hundreds of Standby Commserve installations and I’ve never seen this behavior.  However that being said, I did a quick search of our ticketing database and I see that there have been at least 3 tickets opened within the last couple of weeks (all of them on 11.28.x) that had identical behavior.

It looks like customers had worked around this issue in the past by uninstalling / reinstalling and then it appeared to work, however we should most certainly not accept that. 

Given the fact that there are now 3 or 4 scenarios where the same behavior was exhibited, this needs to be investigated.  If there’s not already a Support incident, let’s get one opened.  We  are going to want to collect all of the logging and likely escalate the incident so we can find a true solution.

When we’re collecting the logs, let’s make sure to take an output of the OS Events in case there’s anything relevant while we’re attempting to create the environmental variable we need to know about.

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks Brian,

I did uninstall and reinstall for my first customer couple weeks ago, and after three reinstalls it worked. But the current customer, I did 5 or 6 re-installs but to no avail.

I did open a ticket, and we’ll see where it leads. Will try to keep you posted.

Thanks much

Badge +1

I run into the same error. Tried with 11.20 and 11.24 any suggestions or workarounds?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

If I’m not alone, it means it is a recurring issue. With my current customer, since we were in a rush, we ended up spinning up a new EC2 instance/vm, and install went through. :-(

Badge +1

which os did you use? 2019?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Honestly, I do not remember and am not connected at the moment. I think it is 2019, but am not certain.

Badge +1

i think the problem occurs only on 2019 Server. CV version tested is 11.20,11.24 and you have the error with 11.28. Hopefully i can find a solution

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Carl Brault / @UCNAndreas,

Is there any currently open support incidents for this?  I’ve done a quick scan of the tickets related to this issue, and all of what I’ve seen so far has been worked around by uninstalling / re-installing.

If there is an open ticket number, can someone please ping me the case number?  This appears to be a consistent issue, so we need to make sure that we are analyzing this for root cause rather than working around it.  I would like to reach out to the current case owner to make sure we get the incident escalated.

Feel free to ping me a direct message with a case number if there’s one open.  I can follow up on it internally to make sure we get the appropriate amount of traction on this.

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Bruno, sadly no. The customer, being under pressure completely destroyed the VM and spun a new one and the install went through successfully. So sadly, support was not able to see what was wrong. :-(

But thanks Bruno. I really appreciate your help.

Badge +1

@Brian Bruno we did not open a ticket yet. i´m going to open one. and ping you the ticket number

Badge +1

@Brian Bruno Incident 230208-270

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks @UCNAndreas, please, keep us posted with the findings. I’m curious to see what is causing that in case I encounter that once more.

Badge

Seems to have been a problem with Windows defender.
The variable CV_Instance001 could not be set.
After we deactivated it, the setup continued normally.
We have now re-enabled the Defender and I set the variable manually prior to setup.
I'll run through the setup again.

Maybe this will help you

Badge

Test completed.

No, commvault probably doesn't care if the variable is already set.

So, only the deactivation of the defender, for the time of the installation, remains.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks @Rago2021 , that is great information!!!