Solved

Storage Policy not changing for subclient

• 7 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, Team

So I am trying to change storage policy for an oracle subclient. The storage policy changes but when the job runs, it goes back to the old storage policy.

Kindly advise. This is urgent!!

icon

Best answer by Mubaraq 7 August 2022, 12:47

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Mubaraq 

if you are attempting to initiate a backup from RMAN interface then update the storage policy on the instance level under the storage devices tab.

Could you also check if a storage policy is defined on the client group level if the client is part of any client group.

Regards 

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, @Gowri Shankar 

Thank you so much.

It turned out that they set the storage policy also at the client computer group level.

Changed it there and it works fine now.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello, Team

So I am trying to change storage policy for an oracle subclient. The storage policy changes but when the job runs, it goes back to the old storage policy.

Kindly advise. This is urgent!!

Hello Mubaraq,

you may have tried from client configuration, can you check from below,

go to CommCell Browser → policies → Storage policies → select old policy which need to change → right click properties → associated Subclients → select the client and Re-associate to required storage policy and you are done. 

before changing make sure you don't have any job running for the client.

Thanks,

Shrikant.

Badge +1

Shrikant stated:  “go to CommCell Browser → policies → Storage policies → select old policy which need to change → right click properties → associated Subclients → select the client and Re-associate to required storage policy and you are done. 

before changing make sure you don't have any job running for the client.”

I have done that exact procedure for 21 subclients more than once.  I checked to make sure there were no jobs running on the CommCell.  I tried re-associating multiple subclients at once and tried doing them individually.  Either way, they show up in the new storage policy and disappear from the old one.  Unfortunately, they reappear in the old storage policy a day or so later. How do I make this change permanent?  

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@JD Davis , are they reverting to the old Storage Policy for new jobs, or are the are new jobs going to the new SP?

Want to be sure they are actually reverting, not retaining historical connections.

Thanks!

Badge +1

They were reverting for new jobs, so my disk full problems persisted.  But when I changed it from the web console using “Manage Plan” (instead of the java console - Policies - Storage Policy - Policy properties - Associated subclients - re-associate), they stayed where I wanted them, and are backing up the way I want.  

I am still fighting the disk full problem, but now I’ve done my due diligence to make the most efficient use of the resources I have available, and don’t have a bunch of unnecessary backups happening.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@JD Davis , I checked with our SME and he advised that if an entity is associated with a plan and you try to move it to another SP in the java GUI, it will revert.  Anything associated to a Plan can only be moved via a Plan.

Let me know if that clears it up.