Storage Policy Retention days VS cycles

• 19 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hello,

I want to schedule a 14 days - daily retention, with weekly and monthly (GFS extended retention) and Im looking for best practice about Cycles.

Im thinking to schedule a synthetic full every 7 days, but what about Cycles? 1 or 2?

Thank you in advance,
Nikos

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  How many cycles you set the retention to is dependent on how much data you want to keep in retention.  A cycle is a full backup and all of the corresponding backups up to but not including the next full.  If you only need one Synth Full and its incremental backups associated, you can set it to 1.  If you set it to two, you will keep a full, its incremental backups, then another full and its incrementals.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Good morning.  How many cycles you set the retention to is dependent on how much data you want to keep in retention.  A cycle is a full backup and all of the corresponding backups up to but not including the next full.  If you only need one Synth Full and its incremental backups associated, you can set it to 1.  If you set it to two, you will keep a full, its incremental backups, then another full and its incrementals.  

In my case I need 2 synthetic fulls within 14 days retention. Simply 1 full every week.

So, how many Cycles to set for that plan ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If you need two fulls and the incremental backups associated, then that would be 2 cycles.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Also, in case of 1 month retention with inc daily, if you need additional weekly backups, best practice should be to set 4 cycles? (1 cycle per week with a synthetic full).