Solved

Storage Pools for Intellisnap Snapshot Copy

• 8 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

We are in the process of retiring our old Media Agents and as part of this process we have created all new storage and global deduplication policies to replace our old ones. During the process we noticed that we now have the ability to configure the snapshot copies to utilize storage pools instead of tying them down to a specific library. Question I have is whether there are any downsides to using using a storage pool verses a library. As we have our media agents configured in pairs of two, it would seem that a storage pool would provide more resiliency in the way that if the primary library is down the secondary library in the group can process the backup. 

icon

Best answer by Ledoesp 8 February 2022, 18:41

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Storage Pools are just an easier logical method to tie a library and a Storage Policy together.

Going forward, the default option will be to use a Storage Pool.

No downside here, just a more logical connection between the resource and the policy options.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Personally I prefer to avoid creating a snap copy and associate it to an Storage Pool, as in general it is a global deduplicate storage policy, basically there is no dedupe in place when using IntelliSnap, unless my Storage Pool is created without dedupe. 

I prefer to specify the data path(s) I want because I can change it later if I need to, something that it is not possible when you associate to an Storage Pool.

Badge +1

Thank you both for the great feedback, very much appreciated!