Solved

Tape Backup with Backup Plans - custom scratch pools

• 1 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hello,

Is it possible to customize the default scratch pool for a storage copy to tape created in a Server Plan (second copy to tape)? Or it will always be Default Scratch Pool and I need to go to the Commcell Console and change in there?

Regards,

Pedro

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 2 February 2023, 15:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @PedroRocha 

To quote documentation:

“Every library has a default scratch pool, which is automatically created when the library is configured. When the system creates a storage policy for the library (e.g., when the library or one of its drive pools is configured), the primary storage policy copy is associated with the default scratch pool. In addition, when you import new media into the library, this is the scratch pool to which they are assigned (unless you specify otherwise). You can create any number of additional scratch pools, and assign these to different storage policy copies that access the library. You can also designate a user-defined scratch pool as the default for the library. See Change the Scratch Pool Associated With a Storage Policy Copy  for step-by-step instructions.”

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10189_scratch_pools_configuration.html#b10198_change_scratch_pool_associated_with_storage_policy_copy

Hope this helps

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @PedroRocha 

To quote documentation:

“Every library has a default scratch pool, which is automatically created when the library is configured. When the system creates a storage policy for the library (e.g., when the library or one of its drive pools is configured), the primary storage policy copy is associated with the default scratch pool. In addition, when you import new media into the library, this is the scratch pool to which they are assigned (unless you specify otherwise). You can create any number of additional scratch pools, and assign these to different storage policy copies that access the library. You can also designate a user-defined scratch pool as the default for the library. See Change the Scratch Pool Associated With a Storage Policy Copy  for step-by-step instructions.”

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10189_scratch_pools_configuration.html#b10198_change_scratch_pool_associated_with_storage_policy_copy

Hope this helps

Hello Jos,

I understand we can create user-defined scratch pools. My question is if it is possible to specify them during a server plan creation/configuration in Command Center. If it is not possible, I believe I'll have to go to the Commcell Console and change it on the storage policy copy itself.

Regards,

Pedro

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I don’t think so, but let me check, brb

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I do not see any option on Plan level:

You can however create storage pools with the scratch pool pre-defined and assign these storage pools to the Plans, eliminating the need for changing every storage policy copy:

If this is not the route you want to take, then you need to alter the policy copy