Solved

the default subclient

• 21 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Im a rookie commvault user.

What does the “\” back slash represent for the Default subclient of a Windows agent.  Does this mean it will back up all local drives  (c:\, D:\ and e:\ etc...) along with system state?..   Well I see system state is check box is selected so thats a no brainer..  

Our server has has multiple.. local drives (C, D, and E) and I didnt know if I needed to create subclients to back these drives up?   

I know I could just run a test backup but we arent there just yet with our s3 bucket...

Thanks in advance

BC

icon

Best answer by dude 21 March 2021, 01:56

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The standard default subclient will backup all disk drives. So c:,d:,e:,etc.

So no need to create different subclients for that.

Badge +15

Im a rookie commvault user.

What does the “\” back slash represent for the Default subclient of a Windows agent.  Does this mean it will back up all local drives  (c:\, D:\ and e:\ etc...) along with system state?..   Well I see system state is check box is selected so thats a no brainer..  

Our server has has multiple.. local drives (C, D, and E) and I didnt know if I needed to create subclients to back these drives up?   

I know I could just run a test backup but we arent there just yet with our s3 bucket...

Thanks in advance

BC

"The default backup set contains a default subclient that is designed as a catchall and automatically detects and backs up all the data that the agent is responsible to protect. After the installation, you can create additional backup sets that also contain a default subclient.

Within a backup set, you can map one or more subclients to specific data on a computer. "

Source: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/11666_backup_sets.html

You may find scenarios where you will need to split the backups either because you different times that you want the backup to happen or because you want to keep the content separate, or something else. 

The documentation is getting better and better so I would definitely recommend spending some time reading about the topic and seeing what can be applied to your environment.

Good luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

One more question Bart - What about Linux Clients.   I know system state isnt option.   But will the forward SLASH “ / “  bkup all the filesystems on a linux system. ??

Or do I need to use a wildcard etc..

Thanks

BC

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @bc1410 !  Yup, same thing for Linux.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks Mike!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My pleasure!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

CANT SEEM TO TYPE TODAY..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

All good!  I split this into another topic for you :nerd: