Solved

Token Criteria does not work with criteria selection : Backup of subclient failed consecutively for X attempts

• 21 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello team,

We want to filter out a group from a backup alert, and it works fine with other options.

However, we noticed a strange behavior that as long as we select the option “Backup for subclient failed consecutively for n attempts”, 

Commvault will never evaluate the “Group Token” or any other Token that we set in the Token Criteria to filter out a particular group from being alerted. Rather keeps sending an alert for the particular group that we want to be excluded.

I have tested this in different ways, but it does not evaluate any Token Criteria that I defined at all, rather ignore whatever Token Criteria that I set and send an alert right away when job status including (job killed, the job failed, job completed with errors, killed by the system )

I suspected it's expected behavior as long as failed backup job status falls in the above failed backup job status.

But our customer wants me to check with Commvault to see if this's expected or that is something that Commvault needs to be addressed internally. 

Here is what we set in Commvault :

Category:  Job Management

Type:          Data protection

Threshold and notification criteria selection:   

• backup for subclient failed consecutively for 3 attempts 
  • Job Failed
  1. added a token criteria to exclude a group from alert, and it keep sending alert for this particular group

Apparently, once it meets failed consecutively Criteria, it will not evaluate what we defined in the Token Criteria

Note: Token Criteria works fine for others Criteria such as “Job Succeed”, “Job Start”

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 24 February 2022, 23:59

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello team,

Category:  Job Management

Type:          Data protection

Threshold and notification criteria selection:   

• backup for subclient failed consecutively for 3 attempts
  • Job Failed

We’re trying to exclude/filter out  “ a specific Client group” from Commvault alert regardless how many failed attempts that job has.

1. added a token criteria to exclude a group from alert, and it keep sending alert for this particular group

Looks like when it meet failed consecutively criteria, it will not evaluate what we defined in  the Token Criteria

Note: Token Criteria works fine for others Criteria such as “Job Succeed”, “Job Start”

please let me know if this is something wrong, or  expected behavior, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Expected or not, that sounds like it is not working properly and should be looked at by our dev team.

Can you create a support case and share the incident number here so I can track and follow up?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening thank you and I’ll update with the case number 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

please merge this one to another similar topic “Token Criteria does not work with criteria selection : Backup of subclient failed consecutively for X attempts” that i created

thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening 

CV case number 220121-386 

thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Will do!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing case resolution:

Case was escalated and CMR:346778 was created to address this behavior. In the mean time the customer can just exclude the client group from the alert within the entity selection phase. To achieve the same goal of any clients apart of a target client group from causing the alert to trigger.