Solved

Universal Command Center

• 8 December 2021
  • 19 replies

Badge +3

Is it possible to configure Universal Command Center when commcells are configured to use RADIUS and external two factor authentication?  It appears to me this is not supported.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 18 April 2022, 19:27

View original

19 replies

Badge +15

Is it possible to configure Universal Command Center when commcells are configured to use RADIUS and external two factor authentication?  It appears to me this is not supported.

This seems to be very environment specific and I find it hard to find a proper documentation available. Have you tested or had any issues where the error can be shared?

Badge +3

dude,

I concur the documentation is EXTREMELY limited.  I have been unable to even get it configured at all.  When I attempt to edit UCC there is nothing I can add to configure.  Additionally, it’s been suggested to disable MFA to configure and then enable MFA.  I can’t disable MFA.  I am not using Commvault’s method for MFA, I’m using an external MFA with RADIUS domain.  I suppose my question here might be premature since I’ve not been able to even come close to getting UCC configured for two commcells.

Badge +15

You are running FR 22 or newer correct?

Notice this on the page: 

Note: Service CommCells must have Data Protection Suite software Feature Release 22 and later versions installed.

Interesting enough, Im running FR24 and I do not see the Univeral CommCell option either. You would probably want to open an INC for that and use that and update us. 

Badge +3

You are correct, I’m running FR24 for both my commcells.  Okay, so I’m not alone in the blank option for UCC.  I’ll open a case and let you know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing case resolution:

Since the Commvault Domain is configured to use Radius for all logins I CANNOT login with a user who doesn’t use MFA.

Badge +3

Mike,

A few weeks back I opened a new case for Universal Command Center.  It went through tier1 and tier2 support and on to development.  It seems support has no idea about this feature.  Here is the new case 220203-449.  Development requested I update my Commcell with a qoperation script to add a “PackageStateForID” to the environment.  This command provided (along with a servername in the script) was my private metrics server.  This metrics server now appears in the drop down selection for Universal Command Center.  I responded to the case notifying this change as well as asking them is my private metrics server really supposed to be the one to add here?  I guess there are just no other companies attempting to make this feature work.  Documentation is extremely thin and support is very unfamiliar with how UCC should work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

The local admin account was deleted from these CommServes?

Assuming that’s true, if the RADIUS host name, port or secret changes, how does someone login to update the configuration for the domain?

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Barefoot1999 , appreciate the case share and the concern.  I know your case owner quite well, so I’ll work with him on making sure we get documentation MRs added once we have an actual solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing the case resolution for anyone following:

Question on configuring the Universal Command Center.
Customer has 2 commcells and wants to be able to view either from Command Center.

Solution:

Other commcell has to be registered in the Java GUI so that the Universal Command Center can be configured.

Badge +3

Mike, thank you for the response, however, I still do not understand how you can register the second commcell in the java guy so that the Universal Command Center can be configured.  The documentation just states:

1. From the navigation pane, go to Manage > CommCell.

The CommCell environment page appears.

2. At the bottom of the page, in the Universal Command Centers section, click Edit.

The Edit universal Command Centers dialog box appears.

3. From the Command Centers list, select the Command Center computers that you want to use as universal Command Center computers.

4. Click Save.

There is NO computers to select to use as universal command center computers.  Where does one configure that?

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Barefoot1999 , should we reactivate the case then if it’s not working as expected?  It sounds like it still isn’t working right.  I just checked and the case was closed over 48 hours ago, though you can create a new case and reference this one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing case resolution.

Finding Details:

Question on configuring the Universal Command Center.
Customer has 2 commcells and wants to be able to view either from Command Center.

Solution:

Other commcell has to be registered in the Java GUI so that the Universal Command Center can be configured.

Badge +3

Mike,

I appreciate the follow-up.  Unfortunately, this feature is useless to me.  You must configure UCC without MFA.  I use Radius for MFA and cannot disable it to login with an account to configure.  Development has agreed re-write documentation to explain how UCC is configured.  I’m surprised development isn’t interested in configuring UCC with MFA since this is a security risk.  Perhaps a CMR for this?  I don’t know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Barefoot1999 , thanks for the follow up!  Let me reach out to the case owner and their team to see if they can push a CMR.

I’ll unmark the answer in the meantime!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If this isn’t supported, you could always open a ticket with Support for a Customer Modification Request (CMR) for future consideration.

Badge +3

Ok, thanks.  I can do that, I just wondered if anyone has configured this when MFA is involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Barefoot1999 , would you mind sharing the case number (and CMR number if you get one)?

I want to be sure to document these details.

Thanks!

Badge +15

I was assuming you were using Commvault`s MFA configuration and that you were seeing errors. But in this case and considering that you are using external options for MFA, I would configure the UCC first and see what happens after that.

You probably have looked the doc: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/essential/134694_defining_universal_command_centers.html

But wont hurt to share. 

Personally, I have not configured that, but would be interested in what issues you are facing while implementing that as I do have multiple environments and could potentially implement that in the future.

Let us know.

Badge +3

Yes, I would love to share when I successfully set up the two commcells but the link you provided (yes, I had already seen it and was attempting to configure with it) has step 4 is blank for me.  There is nothing in the dropdown for me to configure nor can I input anything in the dropdown to add a UCC.