Solved

Update clients agent status - not applicable

• 19 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hey guys,
I’ve recently upgraded my Commvault comserve and media agent and now im in the part of updating all the agents.
Some of the agents I was able to schedule upgrade through the commcell console but some have the Update Status as ‘Not Applicable’.(image attached)

What does that mean?Do I need to go over these machines and manually install the agent?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Laurent 20 January 2022, 10:36

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Are they uninstalled or deconfigured? Need to see the icon the client has on the left side.

Badge +2

Are they uninstalled or deconfigured? Need to see the icon the client has on the left side.

No, fully working and actually are still being backed up.(not greyed out)
I just wanted to update those as well but it says not applicable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Aren’t they pseudo-clients, like hypervisors, or some clients that got registered/deployed from the Commserve but not by from the clients themselves ?

Also, as Liam suggested, the icon on the left side of the client name is important to see.

Depending on the view/filters set on your Commcell console User Profile/Client computers list (and/or computer groups), you might see servers you already backup using VSA, while you would see the servername as a client with v11.0.0, as per hypervisor ‘s VSA’s inheritated version.

Badge +2

Aren’t they pseudo-clients, like hypervisors, or some clients that got registered/deployed from the Commserve but not by from the clients themselves ?

Also, as Liam suggested, the icon on the left side of the client name is important to see.

Depending on the view/filters set on your Commcell console User Profile/Client computers list (and/or computer groups), you might see servers you already backup using VSA, while you would see the servername as a client with v11.0.0, as per hypervisor ‘s VSA’s inheritated version.

No, these are similar machines to the ones that I was able to update.
Here’s another picture showing the client OS.

As you can see these are normal linux/windows clients which are being backed up and was installed in the past.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for the update from this screenshot.

I confirm what I stated about the view of client computer filters to show Virtual Machines.

Let me explain the details that points to that. 

First, the Product version from a VSA has no FR details, like there 11.0.0.

Second, from this view, you can see that a Windows Server 2016 is reported in two different ways : 

1. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (64 bits) from the OS Version column AND WinX64 from the Platform column. ==> This one has a commvault FS agent deployed and is up to date, as per Product version column.
  2. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (64 bits) from the OS version column BUT x64 from the Platform column ==> This one is the VSA reported OS information, and it’s v11. as it’s the hypervisor’s information.

in case B, I guess you have no Commvault FS agent deployed inside this server, and just perform VSA backup of the VM.

Have you tried to (temporarily) disable the display of the VM clients from your console ?

Here it’s checked, but uncheck this one (and/or also in the Client Computer Group Filter tab), apply, wait a bit, and refresh the Client list.

If they’re still present, right-click on the v11.0.0 client, to open its Properties and tell us if you have a ‘Virtual Machine Properties’ tab.

Badge +2

Thanks for the update from this screenshot.

I confirm what I stated about the view of client computer filters to show Virtual Machines.

Let me explain the details that points to that. 

First, the Product version from a VSA has no FR details, like there 11.0.0.

Second, from this view, you can see that a Windows Server 2016 is reported in two different ways : 

1. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (64 bits) from the OS Version column AND WinX64 from the Platform column. ==> This one has a commvault FS agent deployed and is up to date, as per Product version column.
  2. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (64 bits) from the OS version column BUT x64 from the Platform column ==> This one is the VSA reported OS information, and it’s v11. as it’s the hypervisor’s information.

in case B, I guess you have no Commvault FS agent deployed inside this server, and just perform VSA backup of the VM.

Have you tried to (temporarily) disable the display of the VM clients from your console ?

Here it’s checked, but uncheck this one (and/or also in the Client Computer Group Filter tab), apply, wait a bit, and refresh the Client list.

If they’re still present, right-click on the v11.0.0 client, to open its Properties and tell us if you have a ‘Virtual Machine Properties’ tab.

Thank you for the very detailed explanation! I now understand that all of those are indeed backed up from a Virtual Server agent.

Thank you very much for the help

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yes they do, and as long as you already upgraded/updated their MA/VSA Proxy, you’re up to date :thumbsup: