Solved

Update to the feature release 11.24.x

• 8 November 2021
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have a Commvault backup server that has a version 11.20.0. Now, I woult like to upgrade Commvault backup server and clients to the version 11.24.0. Which is the recommended way to do it?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

icon

Best answer by Laurent 8 November 2021, 11:15

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @elizabeta 

When you apply Feature Release updates to the Commcell, there is a recommended order to apply these updates:
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/2171_commcell_environment_upgrades.html

Upgrade the CommCell environment in the following order:

1. Upgrade the CommServe computer.

2. Upgrade the MediaAgents.

3. Upgrade the clients.

Once you have completed Upgrading the CommServe Computer, you can then populate the Software Cache with updates and use this to push updates out to the rest of the environment.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @elizabeta 

Aside from the answer from @Stuart Painter , I recommend you to check and compare your current FR to the target FR, to see the changes, from your FR20, to the FR21, then between FR22 and FR21, then between FR23 and FR22, and then from FR24 and FR23. That’s the only way I found to make sure you’re aware of all the changes/gap between two non-contiguous Feature Releases.  

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/136608_feature_release_1124_lts_01.html

Also review the hotfix logs for that target 

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/assets/service_pack/updates/11_24_21.htm

and known issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you   @Laurent  and @Stuart Painter !

The last time i installed a new future release from version 11.13 to 11.20 i downloaded via console software cache https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/2705_downloading_commvault_software_using_commcell_console.html 

Software cache is located C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\SoftwareCache…

Since I have problems with disk size can I simply delete the old SoftwareCache and then download the new one? 
Will there be any problem if i delete the old SoftwareCache?

Then install it on CommServe computer 

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

No problem to delete the software cache, and you can do it through the Commcell Console/Add remove software, and you get the ‘Delete software cache’ button.

But I would recommend you to setup a remote software cache to some other location, where you can get and keep your previous sources in case you need them.

When the remote software cache is synchronized and populated, you could disable that remote cache, then delete cache content from your CS, then you can initiate the download software to your new version. When complete, you’d have new updated sources on your CS, and old sources somewhere else.

Now, regarding the upgrade itself, though it should work this way through the console, I would recommend you to initiate it manually, opening an explorer to your valid and updated software cache location, and run as administrator the setup.exe from there, and chose the upgrade as you want.

From there, you’d master all the steps of the upgrade, whereas from the console, when it’s initiated, you don’t have much feedback/output on the process, except a installation progress bar on the Commserve itself.  

edit : tip for you, type the Windows key on your keyboard, and input CAPTURE and enter.

This is a handful and free windows built-in screen capture program with simple annotation and drawing possibilities. (there are other free handful tools for download anywhere) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

At the moment, I have a problem with the disk size on the CommServe server,

it is currently 9GB free, the current SoftwareCache is 17GB….

No problem to delete the software cache, and you can do it through the Commcell Console/Add remove software, and you get the ‘Delete software cache’ button.

But I would recommend you to setup a remote software cache to some other location, where you can get and keep your previous sources in case you need them.

When the remote software cache is synchronized and populated, you could disable that remote cache, then delete cache content from your CS, then you can initiate the download software to your new version. When complete, you’d have new updated sources on your CS, and old sources somewhere else.

Now, regarding the upgrade itself, though it should work this way through the console, I would recommend you to initiate it manually, opening an explorer to your valid and updated software cache location, and run as administrator the setup.exe from there, and chose the upgrade as you want.

From there, you’d master all the steps of the upgrade, whereas from the console, when it’s initiated, you don’t have much feedback/output on the process, except a installation progress bar on the Commserve itself.  

edit : tip for you, type the Windows key on your keyboard, and input CAPTURE and enter.

This is a handful and free windows built-in screen capture program with simple annotation and drawing possibilities. (there are other free handful tools for download anywhee) 

If I upgrade manually not via console, first I must download the package as in the picture?

When I download a package I run it in the directory where SoftwareCache is now located?C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\SoftwareCacheThen I must run this package?Thank you!Br,Elizabeta

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s right.  You can download the latest release and install it manually.

I will also echo @Laurent ‘s point that you should move the Software Cache to a network share to free up the space AND keep it off the local disk.  IF anything happens to the CS itself, the cache is elsewhere (and you won’t have to redownload everything).

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you @Mike Struening ! 
Can i manually install the package i downloaded from the cloud, is this a good package?

I would choose Feature Release 11.24 (media Kits)

I would run the install of that package from the path C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\SoftwareCache at the loacation of the old SoftwareCache . Is it ok?

I don’t know if I can run this given the lack of disk space. Now, I have just 11.1GB free on the CommServe.

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I just decided to install a maintenance release though.. Can I do download from this page

I would run the install of that package from the path C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\SoftwareCache at the loacation of the old SoftwareCache . Is it ok?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

If you download the Maintenance Release from Maintenance Advantage you do not need to install it in the software cache in order to upgrade the commserve. You will need to get it copied to the software cache thou in order to push it out to the other clients in your environment. If you plan on putting it in the software cache then it would probably be easier to download the software and pick the maintenance release that you want to download as well using the GUI to start a download software job. Cause you will need to populate the software cache with the full software and the Maintenance Release. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@HolowEd thanks for the reply but i didn't fully understand..
First I plan to download the Maintenance Release from Maintenance Advantage. 
Where should i place it and where to start install?
When i install maintenance release on commserve server how to run install on media agent and other clients. Via console or?

The size of the Maintenance Release package is 1.4GB and the total free disk space is 11GB.

Will I have enough space if I run the installation?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

Where should i place it and where to start install? Create a directory on the commserve off the root of the volume and place it in there. Once you extract the files all you need do is click on installupdates.exe to install the Maintenance Release.
When i install maintenance release on commserve server how to run install on media agent and other clients. Via console or? To install on the machines in your environment, you will need to either copy the software to those machines or use the Copy Software option to place the Maintenance Release in the software cache so that you can push to the clients.

The size of the Maintenance Release package is 1.4GB and the total free disk space is 11GB.

Will I have enough space if I run the installation? This I believe is where your issue lies, in that if you have already deleted the existing software cache and only have 11 GB of free space. You will not have enough space to fully populate the software cache which is what will need to be done. As you cannot just place the Maintenance Release by itself in the software cache. With 11GB free on the commserve you are low on space which can cause other issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@elizabeta

Where should i place it and where to start install? Create a directory on the commserve off the root of the volume and place it in there. Once you extract the files all you need do is click on installupdates.exe to install the Maintenance Release.
When i install maintenance release on commserve server how to run install on media agent and other clients. Via console or? To install on the machines in your environment, you will need to either copy the software to those machines or use the Copy Software option to place the Maintenance Release in the software cache so that you can push to the clients.

Will I have enough space if I run the installation? This I believe is where your issue lies, in that if you have already deleted the existing software cache and only have 11 GB of free space. You will not have enough space to fully populate the software cache which is what will need to be done. As you cannot just place the Maintenance Release by itself in the software cache. With 11GB free on the commserve you are low on space which can cause other issues.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

I did not delete the existing SoftwareCache (as recommended from messages from @Laurent  and @Mike Struening ) and total free disk space is 11GB.

I guess it’s risky to go for an upgrade...

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

Being that you did not delete the software cache, then you should be able to copy the Maintenance Release into the software cache. But yes with such low disk space on the commserve I would first recommend remedying that and then upgrade.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you  @HolowEd for you answer!

BR

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

This is how I thought to install the 11.73 last Maintenance release .…

Then

If I download a new SoftwareCache what will happen to the old one if I see that I don't have enough disk space. Is I then able to cancel the installation, it's just Download software..

Next, I need to run the installation, which I need to choose: Install Software or Upgrade Software?

BR,Elizabeta
Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

If you software cache already has 11.20 in it then the only thing that the download jobs will do is add Maintenance release 73 to it. If the software cache is empty or has an older version in it then it will download 11.20.73 in which case you will run out of Disk space. Follow these steps to check the versions in your software cache.

On tool bar click on Tool tabs - click the down arrow under Add/Remove Software and select Software Cache Configuration

​​​​

This will being up the dialog box shown below. Click on the Cache Details button

That will bring up this dialog box, you should see 11.20 listed here and if there are any maintenance releases in the cache they will be listed as well. If you click on the down arrow next to the release version if there are any other version in the cache they will be listed. If only 11.20 is listed then the download software job should only add the Maintenance release to the software cache.

At which point the rest of your steps for doing the upgrade are correct.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@HolowEd thanks for the instructions, this is the situation.

I currently have 11.1GB available. So, I can add Maintenance release 73 to it and install it without problems with disk space ?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta C
After the download software job finishes just check on the amount of free space left. If you have some 9-10 GB you should be good to install it. But like I said earlier running the commserve with this much free space is not a good thing. I would try to remedy that first but trying to clean up the hard drive of unneeded software.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have just downloaded Maintence Release and I have now 7.20GB free disk. Do you recommend to install this update now?

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Just to ask you @HolowEd  I see size of SoftwareCache

which is 16.35GB.

When I go to size of partition of C:/ProgramFiles/Commvault/Simpana/SoftwareCache that is 21GB

BR,
​​​​​​​Elizabeta

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

That is not the size of the software cache, that is the amount of free space on the volume where the software cache resides.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello, 

Ok, I understand. 

Do you recommend to install this maintenance release?

Br

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@elizabeta , I would recommend the latest MR that just came out a few weeks ago, for whatever Feature Release you choose.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

At the moment, I have 7,26GB total free disk space. I have downloaded last Maintenance Release for future release 11.20. 
Do you recommend to install this maintenance release which I downloaded?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

I would strongly recommend that you remedy the space issue first, as installing the latest MR will drop the free space to and even lower amount which could start to cause issues with the functionality of the commserve.