Solved

Upgrade Maintenace Release on CommServe Failover without disabling Commvault services.

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community!

I know there is an option to upgrade the hotfix version locally for the Instance Failover using CMD which doesn’t raise Commvault services.

In addition to the command itself, please let me know if there is anything else we need to consider when upgrading the hotfixes for the Failover Instance.

I will just add that on the Failover server one of the instances already has the correct version, but the one responsible for Failover, unfortunately, doesn’twant to get up and I have to do it via CMD.

Thanks&Regards,

Kamil

icon

Best answer by Brian Bruno 6 June 2022, 16:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Kamil,

The simplest way to patch your Standby CommServe is to simply do a push update to Instance002 on your standby server (the client entity with the SQL Server Agent used for database replication) from the UI.  When a push is submitted to Instance002 on a Commserve marked as Standby, we automatically apply the updates to Instance001 (The Failover Commserve itself). 

This affords us a few advantages :

1. We can update both client entities with a single update job
  2. We do not attempt to start services on the Failover CommServe
  3. We do not attempt to apply any database-level updates (since those Databases are in a ‘Restoring’ state and will be patched via the next Replication job that completes after your Production host is updated).

If you do need to apply the updates manually on the Standby host, we do have command line operations that will initiate the install of updates and prevent database updates from being applied as well as preventing services from starting :

InstallUpdates.exe -nostartsvc -donotupdateDB -binaryOnly

If you’ve tried the Push Install method that I listed above and it didn’t work for you, it might mean that there is a problem in the configuration of the Standby CS where Instance001 and Instance002 are not properly linked together.  If that is the case, we may want to troubleshoot that via a Support Incident so we can make sure you are set up for success.

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 4

Hi @Brian Bruno 

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately I have to use this command, please tell me where this command should be used, in the Base folder or in the CommServe Cache folder?

Additionally, do we have this process described somewhere in the Commvault documentation? Unfortunately, I can't find it, I only found it for the FR update:

Installing a Feature Release on the Production CommServe During a Maintenance Failover

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/104877_installing_feature_release_on_production_commserve_during_maintenance_failover.html

Rgrds,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Kamil , I found this documented in an old release:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=111454.htm

I’ll find out why it’s no longer shown.