Solved

Upgrading VSA V1 to V2

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hello,

I want to performe VSA upgrade to V2. We using 2 Vcenters with V1 indexing. What are the steps i need to do before using workflow VSA V1> V2

Do i need to add new vcenter first and then use the workflow? And what about the usage of storage. Do i need to have the same amount free storage that used for one Vcenter backup 

icon

Best answer by Amey Karandikar 28 March 2022, 21:26

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning. As long as there are no jobs for the VSA clients running, the workflow should take care of everything including creating the new pseudo client.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Orazan Interesting, i have workflow VSA V1 to V2 migration Ver 1, is that enough ? or there is new versie for? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

here is the documentation for the migration

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/139052_migration_of_virtualization_clients_to_indexing_version_2.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Ok thanks all, all wil do it next week and let you know if its worked. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Amey Karandikar after migration can you migrate backup history to the new V2? or you should wait til its aged? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Egor,

The backup history at the VM level will have both V1 and V2 jobs. The subclient level backup history is separate and only available on its corresponding V1 client. The jobs are available for restore until they age. 

We have MRs for documentation update regarding this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Egor Skepko , just remember the new v2 clients/subclients need to be associated to a schedule once created. This is a manual step. It is in the documentation but can be missed easily and has a big impact to SLAs if you do!

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Graham Swift i though it too but after migration i took a look to scheduler on new V2 and its was associated alrdy

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Graham Swift , @Egor Skepko , all,

The new workflow does address migrating the schedules as well. Please give it a try and let us know if you face any issues.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Yes the workflow work correctly, this have big impact on storage right beacause after migration you making new full backup. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes. However they will get dedupe benefits which will reduce space when same SP is used.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

I heard with V2 you can set retention on client and not on SP anmore. but the option i cannot find. Only if you open new vm backup and go to advance> Media, there you can set retention on backup job. But how can i set it up per vm client and ignore SP retention? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

Data aging rules are inherited by the individual VM from the parent subclient. However, you can enable/disable DA at the VM level. 

Please refer to below doc for more details.

Data aging and retention is controlled by the storage policy that is associated with a subclient.

Individual VMs inherit data aging and retention settings from the subclient. You cannot associate child VMs with different storage policies.

With 11.20 and more recent releases, you can access backup data for each individual VM, even if the VM Admin job for the subclient is not available, but VM Admin jobs are not marked as aged until all associated individual VM jobs are marked as aged.

To enable or disable data aging for a VM-centric virtualization client, configure the Enable data aging setting on the Activity Control tab in the Client Computer Properties dialog box for the virtualization client. When you disable data aging for a virtualization client, data aging is disabled for all VMs that are included under the virtualization client. Also, when you enable data aging for a virtualization client, data aging is enabled for all VMs. However, you can configure Enable data aging setting to disable data aging for an individual VM. For more information, see Disable Data Aging on a Client.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/111042_data_aging_and_retention_operations_for_vm_centric_operations.html