Solved

User [admin] attempt to log on was denied

• 20 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi guys, 

yesterday I tripped over an interesting information in my Commcell Event Viewer. 

User [admin] attempt to log on was denied.

Severity: Information
Program: EvMgrS

I got this entry every 2-5 minutes and I ask myself where it comes from because I thought we don’t use this user. There is no use of user ‘admin’ in task scheduler or in our Automic UC4.

Any idea where I can find further information?

Thanks in advance
Christian

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 21 January 2022, 07:17

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @ckl 

There are multiple paths to follow, depending on the details you’ll need to find.

This can be a console login attempt, then you’ll see details in the webconsole.log and/or webserver.log files.

You can also look for the Audit Report of the webconsole, such a very handful report. Apply the filters, and check (but if it’s a remote access that’s denied, not sure you’ll catch something).

And if something is set in your Commvault environment to use the ‘admin’ login, while it’s disabled or password has changed, you can also try to find that through Commcell Console’s Control Panel / User account management, input the username (here ‘Admin’) , check the ‘skip password check’ and select the Preview button, to see if it’s configured. If not you’ll get this : 

Badge +1

Hi Laurent, 

thanks for your reply. 

This can be a console login attempt, then you’ll see details in the webconsole.log and/or webserver.log files.

You can also look for the Audit Report of the webconsole, such a very handful report. Apply the filters, and check (but if it’s a remote access that’s denied, not sure you’ll catch something).

There are no entries regarding the ‘admin’ user. 

And if something is set in your Commvault environment to use the ‘admin’ login, while it’s disabled or password has changed, you can also try to find that through Commcell Console’s Control Panel / User account management, input the username (here ‘Admin’) , check the ‘skip password check’ and select the Preview button, to see if it’s configured. If not you’ll get this : 

It’s not configured, I get the same message “No User names or passwords were found that matched the criteria specified.”. 

I found these information in EvMgrS.log:

8624  444   01/18 15:46:33 ### IsTFADisabledForUser() - TFA is disabled for user with id=[1]
8624  444   01/18 15:46:33 ### EvSecurityMgr::validateUser() - Attempt to validate credentials of  User [admin], id[1] failed with error [0]
8624  444   01/18 15:46:33 ### EvSecurityMgr::userLogin() - Socket [0x0000000000000D4C]: LOGIN ERROR: Invalid login/password attempt with UserName [admin] from [cvsw020], Attempt [1/3]
8624  444   01/18 15:46:33 ### ::sendResponse() - FAILED [Invalid username/password. Please use valid credentials to log in.]
8624  444   01/18 15:46:33 ### handleLoginOperations() -  Encrypted Login Failed.Browser Session Id [3413]

Best regards
Christian

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ckl 

I have seen occurrences of this issue before.

There is an option to "Require authentication for Agent installation" on Commcell properties that requires credentials to be provided for each client installation.

Customize the Package Configuration

User Administration and Security Online Help

I have seen previous cases where a custom installer may have embedded admin credentials that have since been changed and the client will persistently try to authenticate, generating these messages.

It may be possible to pin this down to a particular client from EvMgrS.log and referencing CvInstallMgr.log for corresponding activity.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

Hi @Stuart Painter ,

It may be possible to pin this down to a particular client from EvMgrS.log and referencing CvInstallMgr.log for corresponding activity.

Thank you! :sunglasses: I found a lot entries for different servers in CvInstallMgr.log like this:

7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### XML Request :<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><CVInstallManager_ClientSetup Focus="Instance001" Operationtype="0" RemoteClient="1" requestFlags="5246976" requestType="1"><CommServeInfo><CommserveHostInfo _type_="3" clientName="cvsw020" hostName="cvsw020"/></CommServeInfo><ClientAuthentication><userAccountToLogin domainName="" password="********" userName="admin"/></ClientAuthentication><clientComposition activateClient="1" packageDeliveryOption="0"><clientInfo><client clientPassword="********" cvdPort="8400" installDirectory="C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore"><clientEntity _type_="3" clientName="xysw3449" hostName="xysw3449.contoso.de"/><osInfo PlatformType="X64" SubType="Server" Type="Windows" Version="6.2"><OsDisplayInfo OSBuild="9200" OSName="Windows Server 2016 Standard" ProcessorType="WinX64"/></osInfo><jobResulsDir path="C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\iDataAgent\JobResults"/><versionInfo GalaxyBuildNumber="BUILD80"><GalaxyRelease ReleaseString="11.0" _type_="58"/></versionInfo></client><clientProps BinarySetID="3" ClientInterface="xysw3449.contoso.de" byteOrder="Little-endian"/></clientInfo><components><componentInfo ComponentId="1" ComponentName="File System Core" _type_="60" clientSidePackage="1" consumeLicense="0"/><componentInfo ComponentId="702" ComponentName="File System" _type_="60" clientSidePackage="1" consumeLicense="1"/><commonInfo><storagePolicyToUse _type_="17" storagePolicyName="CV_DEFAULT"/></commonInfo><fileSystem/></components><patchInformation cumulativeUpdatePackNumber="19" friendlyName="18Apr" spVersion="14.0" transactionID="1685454"><packagePatches pkgId="1"/><packagePatches pkgId="702"/></patchInformation></clientComposition><installFlags activateAllUserProfiles="0"/></CVInstallManager_ClientSetup>
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### Start to get auto register client Info
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### Calling Workflow [AutoRegisterClient] to get auto register client Info for client [xysw3449]
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### No active Workflow [AutoRegisterClient] is found
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### Start to get auto register client Info
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### Getting information for client authentication feature.
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><CVInstallManager_ClientAuthentication AuthenticationEnabled="1" DomainConfigured="1" PrincipalName="svc-cv" ProviderID="1" SSOEnabled="1"><userAccountToLogin domainName="" password="********" userName="admin"/></CVInstallManager_ClientAuthentication>
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### Preparing to logon to CS
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:05 ### Attempting a log on to CS
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:06 ### Failed to login. Error Invalid login/password.
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:06 ### Invalid login/password.
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:06 ### No active Workflow mapped to message [CVInstallManager_ClientSetup] is found
7096  3460  01/19 12:21:06 ### Invalid login/password.

Best regards
Christian

Badge +1

Any idea how to fix that problem? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ckl 

There are a couple of options for you to check:

1. You can simply disable "Require authentication for Agent installation" at Commcell level and this should allow the currently active processes to complete. Please make sure the clients highlighted in CvInstallMgr.log are genuine and expected first.
  2. You can investigate the installation method used on those clients and potentially uninstall and reinstall using another method, providing valid credentials.
  3. If the admin account password was changed and the previous credentials used for those client installations is known, you could change the admin password to the expected credential to allow those processes to complete, then potentially change back.

Consider the implications of having "Require authentication for Agent installation" enabled for your environment.

If the setting is valid and useful, then client installations will need to comply with that rule. You may have older custom client installations with now invalid credentials set in the answer file.

If the setting isn’t useful and authentication during installation isn’t a requirement for your environment, then potentially you should consider removing that authentication requirement.

Thanks,

Stuart