Solved

Using activate on backup data

• 21 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

When using “activate”, you can add an inventory. Within that inventory I can add ‘file server’ and ‘name server’ asset. But how can use the backup data instead of connecting to the live system?

according to the docs, that’s possible, but I don’t see how that can be used. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/123904_data_source_support_in_activate.html

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 21 April 2022, 12:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Bart 

If you want to use backup data you can follow this procedure:

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/88140_adding_file_system_data_sources_to_project.html

Requirements on client:

• Agent installed

• Content indexing enabled

Then this is the procedure:

1. In the name box, enter a name for the file server.

2. From the Country name list, select the country where the server is located.

3. Determine the type of data to use:

• To use the data collected from a content indexing job or a back up job, click Analyze from backup.

Note: If content indexing is enabled, all of the content indexed data from the server is used. If an agent is installed and content indexing is not enabled, all of the backed up data from the server is used.

This is not defined within the inventory, but within the specific Activate module.
For instance within Sensitive data governance you need to create a Project and then add the datasource with the steps as described.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I’m getting  “Error returned: [Error while creating data source [HOST], Error[Invalid cloudId [0] provided]]” on all servers

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Bart That sounds to be an issue with a prerequisite, I am thinking the Index Server as it is referring to the cloudId.
A few questions:

• Which roles have you assigned to the Index Server used for Activate?
  • Have you assigned this Index Server to the data classification plan and the activate inventory?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Bart , hope all is well!

following up to see if you had a chance to review @Jos Meijer ‘s questions.

Thanks!!