Solved

Using Commserver on REL8

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hello,

Someone working with commserver on REL8? What is your expirions with? Any procs and coins?

Atm our Commserver is on WIN2016 and we want to migrate to REL. Our MA's already installed on REL8.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Philipp Swoboda 11 January 2023, 09:51

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I have no experience with it, but it is supported → https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/132365_commserve_server_system_requirements_linux.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg Yes i aware of that it supported, What is the easy way to migrate from Win to Linux? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You can’t migrate from Windows to Linux. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg  So you need to install new CV on REL and load DR backup ? Or do you have guide for maybe ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You can't even load a DR backup originating from a Windows based CommServe on a Linux based version. The documentation is also clear on this:

I assume they are working on it, I would definitely open a CMR!

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg Ok thanks for the information, we planning not now but in the futuare, we have time till eind of this year. Then is EOL of 2012 i think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Are you running on SQL 2012 R2 because that one will reach end-of-support on July this year. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg  No we are running SQL 2014

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok, you wrote "Then is EOL of 2012 i think.” so I thought you might still run on Windows or SQL 2012 R2. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg no i ment WIN 2012 EOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok, but in case you are running the CommServe on Windows 2016 and are using SQL 2014 than what is the issue in regards to Windows 2012 EOL.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg  No we are running WIN2012R2 and SQL 2014. But we might migrate it to late WIN Server instead to do clean installation on Linux. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Sure, but as said currently you can go/migrate an existing database that was build on Windows to a RHEL based environment. This might be on the roadmap, but I have no knowledge about this. 

Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Onno van den Berg bedankt voor de hulp!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Graag gedaan🤣!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hello, 

we have done a lot of test installations and you have to consider some steps then it works fine, but the migration from windows to rhel is not supported at the moment, may it comes later.

Cheers 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Philipp Swoboda Thank you for your information.